UCC2016: The Uzebox Code Challenge returns!

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: UCC2016: The Uzebox Code Challenge returns!

Post by uze6666 »

Hi Guys!

The compo is over! Thanks to all who submitted entries and also to all who could not cross the finish line in time.

I'll wrap up the entries and send them to the judges. I aim to announce the winners next weekend. Stay tuned! :mrgreen:
yllawwally

Post by yllawwally »

Roguze.zip
(69.08 KiB) Downloaded 882 times
Here is my entry. I sent a pm on friday, but when I didn't receive a response, when I didn't look this morning. I figured it didn't get through.
Roguze.hex
(130.06 KiB) Downloaded 902 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yeah sorry for not giving back feedback immediately.

The entries I received:
-Jubatian
-Grobian99
-Nebososo
-yllawwally
-CunningFellow

If any other sent me something let me know!

Update: All the games have been added the main post! http://uzebox.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=17162#p17162
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

CunningFellow wrote:Was a rushed job in the last week.

I would have loved to have put a timer on the levels to give bonus points if you finish fast to make it more frantic. But I ran out of time myself.

As Usual the sound is average because I have no idea about sound.

Edit: Oh - I am currently using the EEPROM block assigned for T2K - as I didn't think about asking for some new blocks assigned. I will recompile it when I get 2 new blocks assigned.
I have generated the .UZE file with the packrom tool. But received "ignoring unknown record type 3 in line 3163 of cchopper.hex". Although it seems to work, I don't know if it will fail in later levels. Do you thing you can post a .UZE file that's ok?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I have spent a good chunk of time playing each entry so far and I must say well done everyone. Each entry is very different from one another this year, and it's interesting to finally see what you guys have come up with.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I find some of Nebososo's games quite entertaining, particularly the Monster one. Nice, a bit decieving for one approaching it with Minesweeper logic when it turns out that two paths lead to the same room with a hole, fresh. I even like that sometimes it is just impossible to solve it. I think I found a bug, though, or for me it seems like so.
The stench of the monster is missing 2 rooms below him.
The stench of the monster is missing 2 rooms below him.
monster_missing_stench.png (11.69 KiB) Viewed 13319 times
For me it would seem more logical if the monster's stench was there across the hole, seemingly the game uses a "passable room" rule to place the markers.
Good luck finding the monster!
Good luck finding the monster!
monster_good_luck_even_finding_him.png (12.15 KiB) Viewed 13309 times
This map is outright evil. You can only access the monster from above then left across the edge, but looking at the paths, on this, it is plain unlikely that you even find a monster stench tile (it isn't even possible to map the surroundings to get any clue).

I also like the Trollen game, although I got stuck at level 35 or so (I can't remember the exact level number, quite featureless level with two orange trolls and three death traps, I gave up on it unable to find a solution, seemingly trapping both trolls on the same location wouldn't be exactly advantageous for the player's chance of survival, although not sure if there would be a solution without that happening).

Eh, sorry for OFFing a bit (maybe, to some degree), maybe make a topic for the game then.
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

Jubatian wrote:I find some of Nebososo's games quite entertaining, particularly the Monster one. Nice, a bit decieving for one approaching it with Minesweeper logic when it turns out that two paths lead to the same room with a hole, fresh. I even like that sometimes it is just impossible to solve it. I think I found a bug, though, or for me it seems like so.
For me it would seem more logical if the monster's stench was there across the hole, seemingly the game uses a "passable room" rule to place the markers.
Yeah, it was a decision I made I'm not sure why, that could be changed and would probably make the harder maps a bit easier, which is good.
Jubatian wrote: This map is outright evil. You can only access the monster from above then left across the edge, but looking at the paths, on this, it is plain unlikely that you even find a monster stench tile (it isn't even possible to map the surroundings to get any clue).
There's a check to see if the monster is reachable, but sometimes (more than just sometimes, really) you get maps like these. I initially wanted to allow the player to pick a difficulty setting, but I couldn't think of another way of doing this without generating a ton of maps and evaluating them, each generation takes about a second so it wouldn't work.
Jubatian wrote: I also like the Trollen game, although I got stuck at level 35 or so (I can't remember the exact level number, quite featureless level with two orange trolls and three death traps, I gave up on it unable to find a solution, seemingly trapping both trolls on the same location wouldn't be exactly advantageous for the player's chance of survival, although not sure if there would be a solution without that happening).
All maps should have a solution, I generated all of them automatically and then ordered them by difficulty. Of course I had to empirically define difficulty scores for each action that has to be taken and the final order does not necessarily represent what a person would think so we get random harder levels like this one.
I actually had a friend write another Trollen solver for me to check if the generated maps were good and they all passed the test.
One thing I noticed most people don't get is when the trolls merge, they stop and this is what makes most of the harder levels hard because it's not very intuitive.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

nebososo wrote:One thing I noticed most people don't get is when the trolls merge, they stop and this is what makes most of the harder levels hard because it's not very intuitive.
I don't get this, either. What do you mean by "they stop"? I got a blue troll which was capable to travel at least 3 squares from the merge, immediately cancelling the stunned state of either troll (the merge happened with one troll stunned on a death trap, the other walking on it). Otherwise I see how it is possible to devise a solver (the game doesn't seem to have a too wide tree, often you are on deterministic paths between two decision points), nice that the levels are all original then! Difficulty tended to vary though. The very first map was quite difficult (with no prior experience of course), while there were a few levels where just looking at it I knew how to solve it.
yllawwally

Post by yllawwally »

In Roguze, the priest spells are only available if you purchase piety. They don't cost mana, but don't always work. Unlike regular spells which cost mana, but always work if you can pay the cost.
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

Jubatian wrote:I don't get this, either. What do you mean by "they stop"? I got a blue troll which was capable to travel at least 3 squares from the merge, immediately cancelling the stunned state of either troll (the merge happened with one troll stunned on a death trap, the other walking on it). Otherwise I see how it is possible to devise a solver (the game doesn't seem to have a too wide tree, often you are on deterministic paths between two decision points), nice that the levels are all original then! Difficulty tended to vary though. The very first map was quite difficult (with no prior experience of course), while there were a few levels where just looking at it I knew how to solve it.
I mean that if both trolls take a single step then merge, they don't take the second or third step for that round, on some levels, this gives you just enough time to escape or trap the troll.
The solver is actually quite simple, the state is just the position of the player, the position of the other two trolls, their type and stun state. A bfs solves it nicely, it's just a bit tricky to code due to all the edge cases, but yeah, it made it easy to test and generate levels.