UCC2016: The Uzebox Code Challenge returns!

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.
D3thAdd3r

Re: UCC2016: The Uzebox Code Challenge returns!

Post by D3thAdd3r »

The prize was removed from the initial post.

That sucks man. That is a lot of money and I don't think you should feel any obligation to replace the prize in the least.

If something happened to the guy that is terrible. If he had a small business that failed and no longer cared about the reputation, it would be terrible if you were a victim of him walking on an agreement with your cash in hand. Might be worth some assertive email subject lines or broader social media questions.
schepers_cp

Post by schepers_cp »

D3thAdd3r wrote:The prize was removed from the initial post.

That sucks man. That is a lot of money and I don't think you should feel any obligation to replace the prize in the least.

If something happened to the guy that is terrible. If he had a small business that failed and no longer cared about the reputation, it would be terrible if you were a victim of him walking on an agreement with your cash in hand. Might be worth some assertive email subject lines or broader social media questions.
thanks, and indeed it sucks alot, though if he'll ever shows up again, i won't be paying him, lesson learned (he owns a small 2-3 man company where he is the leader/CEO or how you call it)

anyhow, i am willing to replace the prize, just need inspiration of what to give

edit, regarding to this suggestion: Might be worth some assertive email subject lines or broader social media questions.

already done that several times, no response, no activity at all :S

anyhow, i can send a working intel i486DX2 @66mhz pc with 16mb of RAM for the nostalgia, but it's a rather heavy machine (about 4-5KG) so shipping would be expensive from here.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Just a little progress report.

Now I have a quite functional demo level completed of my UCC game. It is this previously posted idea by the way, but I won't say more of it for now (until the deadline), so you might start guessing around how much was actually realized from that concept. The demo level as of now is 360 bytes. Anyway, this is a milestone here: the game is in a stage where it can be actually played, so my entry for certain will be submitted.
schepers_cp wrote:I can send a working intel i486DX2 @66mhz pc with 16mb of RAM for the nostalgia
Brings back memories indeed! I still keep a 100MHz Siemens Nixdorf laptop around, my space is a bit cramped. I did lots of game programming for these a while ago (nothing really completed or released though).
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Just a question, it is still almost a month until the deadline, but how challenge entry submissions will be handled? (Should we send it by PM to Alec (Uze)? Would uploading it somewhere or opening a GitHub repo be OK along with sending a link?) No I am absolutely not done yet :) - just would like to know, and hope nobody misses it!
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

From the previous ones, everyone sent their .hex and .uze with a text file describing the entry(the judges review this before judging) to Alec. I think Alec tried tracking down a couple here or there and might have had to use some early posted ones when someone disappeared or something. I know at least one person was a bit upset that an older version of their entry was judged, but that person did not send the newer one until he realized the mistake. For sure to anyone make sure you PM uze6666 with your entry early if you will possibly not be around at the due date, otherwise it would be sad. You can always send him an updated version before the end, so he can update the .zip before the final send to all judges.

For UCC2013-15 everything was compiled into a .zip and sent them to the judges. As far as I know, there was some leniency in that you just had to release source code some how, some where, at some time after the fact. I think some never released the source code unfortunately.

The judges last time, if my fuzzy memory serves me, edited a google document for scoring of all entries, and Alec tabulated it all together. All scores from each judge were averaged together to make final scores in all categories for all entries. Each of the judges scores, in every category for every entry, are weighted by how many points each judge gave out. So each judge, regardless if he gave all 10s, or all 1s, has the same weight as any other judge for all entries, if that makes sense. That is, the opinion of a judge using higher/lower numbers than others, does not end up more impactful to make something look better or worse comparatively.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hi guys!

The official dead line is close. Which make me wonder how everyone is doing with its entry? Do you feel that extending the deadline would help (eg: a month or so)? Or we just leave it as is?

I will be looking for judges as usual. To qualify would be peoples with a bit of experience developing on the uzebox (a game, demo or tool will do) that didn't enter the compo. Me, Lee and Harty will start the roster, but I would like to have 2-4 more judges ideally.

Also, when ready to submit your entry, simply PM me a zip with the UZE & HEX files, the sources and a readme file explaining the game and how to play it.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Glad you are back here! :) I already sent you my entry, just to be sure I won't miss the deadline, fairly complete, although since then I continued building it further, mainly fixing audio issues, in the remaining time I will possibly attempt to write some music for it.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

I have made great progress since I technically started in September. However, I won't have my game finished. If I had an additional month, that would be great but I don't think that I could finish it.

I'm still making a game, and if I have to wait until next year's competition then that would be fine. How many people are ready to present their game?
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

I finished coding mine and submitted it a couple of days ago, however, the mechanics could use some polishing.
My opinion is that the extra month is worth it if someone knows they are finishing their entry with the extra time, otherwise the original date is probably better.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Really excited to see what everyone has come up with :D