UCC2016: The Uzebox Code Challenge returns!

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.
uze6666
Site Admin

UCC2016: The Uzebox Code Challenge returns!

Post by uze6666 »

The Uzebox community is officially launching its 3rd game coding contest! We aim to stir interest in peoples to realize games and ideas sleeping idle in a corner of their brain! The contest will offer prizes in hardware and cold hard cash!

About
The Uzebox is a retro-minimalist, open-source 8-bit game console based on the Atmel ATMega644 microcontroller. It boasts close to 100 games and demos, tools and documentation all contributed by a avid community. Development can be done on the Uzem emulator or by building your own kit, available at Adafruit.com and hwhardsoft.

Main site: http://uzebox.org
Wiki: http://uzebox.org/wiki

RULES
  • The contest will launch March 1st 2016 and close December 4th 2016 at midnight GMT-5.
  • Participants must register. There is no time limit to register, but the sooner the better (motivates peoples to see a lot of participants)!
  • To register, send the administrator a personal message on the forums with a rough idea of the game you are planning to present (if possible). It will remain secret but if someone had registered the same game/idea before you will be advised.
  • Participants will be listed at the end of this post
  • More than 1 entry can be submitted per participant but only one can win a prize
  • You can share the progress of your game at any time during the compo as long as you registered it
  • Existing WIP games never completed can enter the contest...perfect occasion to finish em up ;)
  • More than one person can work on an entry but only one prize will be attributed to the entry
  • Source code will need to be submitted along the binary and we must be able to compile it
  • Projects must be made to run on the hardware and emulator.
  • Projects must be games or other useful and interactive programs (like Uzeamp, a tracker, etc). No demos will be accepted (demos in the traditional sense, i.e: Second Reality by Future Crew).
  • Projects must not be a simple update of an existing Uzebox game.
  • Projects must be at most 61440 bytes long to be compatible with the Gameloader.
  • Any video mode can be used
  • Any kernel version can be used
  • Custom kernels and video mode can be developed and used as long as it runs correctly on the real hardware and the emulator.
  • Jury will be made of a panel selected by Uze
  • Money prizes will be payed out exclusively via Paypal and are in USD.
  • Judging will be made by summing and normalizing the rating from 1(lowest) to 10(highest) on several criteria:
  • Game Play: How the game plays and reacts, AI level, game dynamics, etc
  • Originality: Bonus point for an original game concept (i.e. not a port of an existing game)
  • Graphics: Quality and richness of the in game graphics
  • Sound & music: Quality and quantity of sound effects and in-game music. Bonus points for original effects and music.
  • Completeness: Bonus point for things like many game levels, main menu, high score panel, attract mode, etc.
  • Technical prowess: custom video modes, complex effects, etc will be awarded bonus points
Prizes will be allocated as following (subject to change for the equivalent or better depending on contributions):
  • 1st: 200$ + Uzebox Portable assembled with professional 3D printed enclosure
  • 2nd: 100$ + Uzebox starter kit (assembled on demand)
  • 3rd: 50$ + Euzebox Kit
  • 4th: Uzebox t-shirt + Simon Says DIY kit
  • 5,6th places: Uzebox t-shirt
  • All other participants who crossed the finish line: Special prize to be determined.

Extra prizes contributed (will be allocated later):
  • 200$ in Uzebox hardware (kits, Uzenet module, keyboard, etc)
  • 150$ not allocated yet
The compo officially starts march 1st. In the mean time if you'd like to contribute to the prize pool (in cash or hardware), please send me a PM. Naturally , the bigger the prizes the more interesting the compo will be! [/list]

Registered Participants
--------------------------
grobian99
Jubatian
MonteroJCs
CunningFellow
nebososo
martink
Kerby
shockdesign
Zygurt
Pickle
Gosma
yllawwally
Nicksen782

Submitted entries
--------------------
ucc2016-cunningfellow-cchopper.zip
(62.63 KiB) Downloaded 962 times
ucc2016-grobian99-stormforce.zip
(53.16 KiB) Downloaded 966 times
ucc2016-jubatian-dragon_compo.zip
(85.09 KiB) Downloaded 988 times
ucc2016-nebososo-65536in1.zip
(87.13 KiB) Downloaded 968 times
ucc2016-yllawwally-Roguze.zip
(66.26 KiB) Downloaded 948 times
Winners
---------
To be announced: Dec 10,2016!
Harty123

Re: UCC2016: The Uzebox Code Challenge returns!

Post by Harty123 »

cool. If you want add a EUzebox kit as prize to the list...
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Harty123 wrote:cool. If you want add a EUzebox kit as prize to the list...
Thanks Harty! Are you also ok with the Simon Kit?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I'm bumping this since I don't see any registered participants listed, though maybe it just isn't update yet. Guys on the side lines and those sitting on the fence get in there and make your game, it's fun and an accomplishment! Pretty sweet prizes this year too.

If anyone needs music or sound effects converted I'll offer help to anyone. PM me I suppose, to keep the games secret from your ruthless competitors :)
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I will no doubt enter something with much technical wizardry but incomplete as a game.

I've gone from vector graphics to colour vector graphics.

Maybe this year I will see what I can do about filled polygons.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

It would be a welcome entry. Also complete or not, at this time, Tornado has already made a big impact for showing Uzebox possibilities.

I would laugh if someone thought a filled polygon Star Fox-like was possible. When Cunning says something impossible like that, I'd have to stay silent awkwardly wondering if he was serious or not :lol: If I had those abilities, I would make an FPS game though 8-)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Ain't got any entries yet, so perhaps a little more publicity will be required. If you guys have account on some other forums a post would be welcome. :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

IMG_20160229_205916.jpg
IMG_20160229_205916.jpg (93.88 KiB) Viewed 23169 times
Got a batch of cards printed to promote the compo. Forgot to convert them to cmyk before sending, but still look great! :)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

A nice idea and they look great. I really dig the new cylindrical background 8-)
neslou

Post by neslou »

Great News !!!!! Even if i am still not able to program something right now (still in the hardware phase :D )
How can we help? Or promote this code challenge?
Regards.
Neslou.