UCC2014: Final Results!

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.
uze6666
Site Admin

UCC2014: Final Results!

Post by uze6666 »

Hi all Uzeboxers,

All results for UCC2014 are in! And the winners are (drumroll):

Here's the finals scores:
All scores were normalized, i.e: the voting scores from each judge has been divided by the total points given by that judge. The score breakdown per game and judge can be found here.
A pack of all UCC2014 games can be downloaded here: http://uzebox.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=13601#p13601

1st: jjhoward - Joyrider - Score: 74.37
Wins: 300$ + Uzebox full Kit + 3D printed enclosure + a 7" LCD TV monitor
What the judges had to say:
  • GTA on the Uzebox!!
  • Top tier! Great graphics, satisfying sound effects, and technically impressive. The attention to details shines and the completeness counts for a lot here.
  • High replay value with multiple missions. AI of the police cars is excellent.
  • The sound of the police cars is pretty cool.
  • Car control can be hard and confusing at times.
Jhhoward-Joyrider.zip
(73.28 KiB) Downloaded 1344 times
2nd: Ellipsis - Holey Moley - Score: 70.82
Wins:150$ + E/Uzebox Base Kit
  • The gameplay works surprisingly well and the randomly generated levels provide good replay value. More content could have been packed in and a bit more polish/bug fix would have been nice.
  • Nice strategy aspects. Save game feature is a plus. High scores/hall of fame screen would have been a great addition.
  • Controls could be optimal if jetpack and digg would be controlled by buttons instead of D-pad.
  • The game is fun, original, and challenging. The sound and graphics could use a touch of work, but they are complete and pretty nice.
Ellipsis-HoleyMoley.zip
(66.47 KiB) Downloaded 1986 times
3rd: Melli's Retro Land - Grobian99 - Score:62.38
Wins: 50$ + Simon Says DIY kit
  • One of the rare side scroller on the Uzebox, very well done.
  • Hi-score (hall of fame) would be nice.
  • Very nice graphic and game play. It reminds of Giana sisters.
  • Controls are good but could use more game play elements. More enemies and music would add fun and replay value.
  • With some more work this will be the best platformer on the console.
Grobian99-Mellis Retro Land.zip
(58.73 KiB) Downloaded 2356 times
4th:CunningFellow - Tornado 2000 - Score: 60.23
Wins: Simon Says DIY kit, 200$ for the most impressive technical feat/and or hack
  • Perfect tempest clone.
  • Ambitious and visually impressive. Pushes the hardware to its limits.
  • Completeness is the only thing that kept this game from 1st place.
  • Great graphics, and technically amazing piece of work.
  • Our choice for the technical award.
CunningFellow-Tornado2000.zip
(823.11 KiB) Downloaded 977 times
5th: Stache - UzeWars - Score:58.22
Wins: Simon Says DIY kit
  • A pretty solid 2 player game and nice vector graphics. A little bit of polish and details would help, but it is a nice game overall.
  • Would be great to introduce some planets, gravity and random ship starting position.
  • Control can be difficult.
  • Probably one of the best multiplayer games available, so it has a niche there.
  • Some graphical bugs can be irritating. Any form of AI would have been appreciated here to provide for some kind of single player experience.
Stache-UzeWars.zip
(35.47 KiB) Downloaded 1660 times
6th: Schepers_CP - UzeBeats - Score:39.94
Wins: Simon Says DIY kit
  • A novel concept and the beats are pretty cool to mess around with. The implementation is fairly nice.
  • Not really a game, but I am a fan of drum machines, so I was excited by the idea.
  • Hard to control, missing some basic features (for example was unable to change tempo).
  • You can make some beats that get your head bobbing and it's fairly complete for what it is. It is enjoyable to tinker with.
Schepers_cp-Uzebeats.zip
(17.79 KiB) Downloaded 1563 times
7th: Nicksen782 - UzeZelda - Score:34.04
Wins: Uzebox T-Shirt
  • Potential here that just can't be measured with scores like this. I like the direction it's going.
  • The overworld is handled nicely on the SD and from the debug information it seems collision is pretty well done.
  • Just a few extra things would have helped pull this all together to a seemingly more finished product.
Nicksen782-UzeZelda.zip
(57.21 KiB) Downloaded 936 times
Prizes
Since there was no RTS entry, the 150$ for best real-time strategy (RTS) game had been put in the general pool. It will help with shipping costs. Nobody qualified themselves as beginner/novice and it would be hard to fairly assess that anyway. After careful consideration, we have decided to drop the novice/beginner prize.

To all prize winners, please send me a PM with your shipping address and/or paypal address depending on prize(s) received. For 2nd prize, specify Uzebox or EUzebox kit. For 7th prize, specify Medium or Large for the T-Shirt.

Congratulations to all participants, your work was awesome! And from what I have heard, you all had fun doing it. That's the goal of such a compo, so I'm *very* happy you enjoyed it! :D

See you next year and spread the word! :mrgreen:
D3thAdd3r

Re: UCC2014: Finals Results!!

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Congratulations guys, very nice entries by everyone this year!
jhhoward

Post by jhhoward »

Thanks to all the judges for your great feedback, I'm thrilled to have won first place! Well done to everyone else who entered, there were some excellent entries. It was really good fun to be part of this year's uzebox competition and thanks to everyone who helped organise it :)

I've uploaded the source code for my entry on my BitBucket account so if anyone is interested then they can take a look here:
https://bitbucket.org/jhhoward/uzeboxracer
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Unfortunately, real life took me away from Uzebox shortly after I entered the compo. I am very happy for the comments regarding my game. Thank you for those. It may not seem like much to some people but it really brightened my smile.

You better bet that I'll be finishing this game up for next year's compo! At the very least a complete game. These entries this year were impressive. I was active Jan-March and I was very happy to have the help of several people such as Uze, Cunningfellow, D3thadder and others. It gave a sense of community.

Thank you so much. I'll be in next year's comp for sure.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Good to hear! It is an ambitious project and like any hobby it's easy to get tied up in life and have no time for it for a while. Keep us updated on this for sure, and the tutorials along the way have been and will be great. Everyone basically builds on top of work and knowledge already done in the past, so make sure to ask for help on music/sfx or anything else. Every one is doing it :mrgreen:
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Congratulations all, a couple of those there were very well polished especially jjhoward. I will be looking at your code soon.

To reiterate what someone else said. Its about sharing and building the community. Try encourage people you know to get into writing games on the Uzebox and we can have more to talk about here on the forums in the future.
stache

Post by stache »

Congrats to everyone on a great comp this year! The feedback on my game really does help, and I am planning on putting some more work into adding these extra features and making the game more polished. As others have mentioned, life kinda got in the way for me as well, but I completed my main goal which was to just finish a simple game for this years comp. Now that I've taken the plunge into video game development, I have a great respect for the time it takes to make a finished game. I'm already starting to think of new game ideas for next year if they continue with the competition. I have to say that the Uzebox community is amazing! I couldn't have finished my game if it wasn't for all the coding geniuses that haunt the forums and post amazing games with their source code.
Jon Thomasson
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I've updated the main post and added ZIP files for individual games. I'm also creating the news entry and stub wiki pages for all games. You can request an account on the wiki and complete it. For the prizes, it will try processing everything this week but it may leak to next week.
Kerby

Post by Kerby »

Hello, everyone!
  I rarely I come on this forum! Congratulations to all the participants to transcend the finish line! The first four places are very good projects! Well done guys! Large loading at work and moving to a new place of residence did not allow me to finish their projects to the final of the competition ... I blame myself, it is necessary to allocate more time for personal hobbies!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

A status update. Most prizes, T-shirts etc will be shipped shortly. Those who asked t-shirts, we were able to get the size you requested. The 3D printed enclosure will probably ship around Dec 1st.