UCC2014 - Games are in!

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.
D3thAdd3r

Re: UCC2014 - Games are in!

Post by D3thAdd3r »

nicksen782 wrote:I'm using the 256 MB SD card that came with the Uzebox.
That is definitely the problem. Try other cards and it could help everyone a lot if people took the time to test every card they can find, and put working/not working/working with bootloader but not vector games/etc in the SD Compatibility List as a reference. Lots of stuff is and will be leveraging the SD now so I think it's more important than ever to know which ones work, and hopefully find a cheap source online where anyone could quickly order a known working one to appreciate what's coming.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

nicksen782 wrote:I do not know how to start Tornado 2000 on the uzebox hardware. I've used the bootloader and I've directly flashed the chip with the hex. The response is a blue screen on my tv like it is not getting any signal. My emulator usually doesn't run at full speed (I don't know why as I have a rather beefy computer.)

I'm using the 256 MB SD card that came with the Uzebox. I've even formatted the card and put only those two files on it. It seems like the bootloader failed at flashing the game.
The tempest video mode can not start outputting a TV picture until it has the SD card info ready. This is because once it is running, the video-render code just blindly reads the SPI data register. That would corrupt any SD card initialization or file seeking.

If it finds the file on the SD card, but the SD card is too slow the game will play but the scree will be corrupt/garbled.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I don't know if it's related then, but I have a card that doesn't work with Tornado(no video at all) but does work with my SD game. For some reason I had to always reset the console the first time it powered up on this card, after the reset it would always work. I tried it on the card, but for Tornado that fix doesn't work. Any idea if something as simple as this would do it?

Code: Select all

bool failed = true;
	for(uint8_t i=0;i<MAX_SD_ATTEMPTS;i++){
		pf_mount(NULL);
		if(!pf_mount("somefile.bin")){//it worked
			failed = false;
			break;
		}
		WaitVsync(10);
	}
	if(failed)
		SoftReset();
It worked in my scenario so I never have to do a reset anymore.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Thanks, I will try that reset trick. My Kingston card needs a reset after flashing also.

Also I never included any "Your SD card is incompatible / not present" messages in T2K as I was worried I would not have enough flash space for the extra video mode.

After I worked out the little routines to save all the space on WEB geometry I now have heaps to spare, so I will do a full screen monochrome mode where I can put up text messages BEFORE the SD card is running.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier and save flash just to make a web that happens to be shaped like all the letters of whatever message you want to display and draw that. Then you could REALLY go crazy on nice sound.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

D3thAdd3r wrote:I wonder if it wouldn't be easier and save flash just to make a web that happens to be shaped like all the letters of whatever message you want to display and draw that. Then you could REALLY go crazy on nice sound.
Can only show a web AFTER the SD card is working. So I can't give a message about the SD card not working that way.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

:lol: yep, makes sense...