UCC2014: The Uzebox Code Challenge! (Extended to Nov 1st)

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.
omundodogabriel

Re: UCC2014: The Uzebox Code Challenge is back!

Post by omundodogabriel »

I was writing a nes emulator for uzebox, could I enter it on the UCC 2014? Is still in early stages of development, and I just wrote the 6502 cpu emulation code, but is not working right yet, there's still some strange bug preventing some opcodes to write on memory :evil: , but is pretty possible. NES only have 2KB of Ram, mirrored to 8kb, plus 256 bytes sprite ram. Mapper 0 games only have 16KB/32KB of PRG + 8 KB of CHR, and can be stored on 64KB of atmega 644 flash mem. Most video modes have the same resolution of NES video output, and work pretty much the same way the nes ppu works. :D The only problem is the palette. Also, don't know at which speed this thing could run... :?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

The 28mhz atmega could perhaps get 1.78 mhz of performance on the emulated 6502 if it didn't have to do anything else like rasterize the screen, blit ram tiles, generate sound, etc. NES has 2kb work ram and 2kb video ram and a video coprocessor(plus DMA and sound hardware)! The cpu can do other things while the screen is being drawn, Uzebox doesnt work that way. The real problem would be emulating the sprite hardware, the cycles and ram required just aren't there no matter how smart you go about it. I am 99.999+% sure the finished product no matter how well programmed could not do what you're looking for and I'm trying to spare you some disappointment.

With that said it is very possible to port an NES game or two over to Uzebox and win prize and prestige! :D
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Dear Uzebox community, 2 weeks left to the registration deadline and we only have a couple registered participant. We need at least 8-10 firm participant or otherwise we will have to call it off this year. If many were waiting on the sidelines, now would be the time to commit yourself! ;)
sigint

Post by sigint »

The weather might be a problem: You should have placed the deadline towards fall or winter. :roll:
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

The updated initial post looks as if we have 12 registered participants, so this is defintely on??
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

OH - dear lord. I'm going to have to push to finish by September.

Doesn't time creep away from you.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

If it was easy, everyone would do it ;)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Well, if no one is going to make it for September, it's perhaps wiser to push back the deadline. What about Nov 30th. That's the most I can push, after that, it's the Holliday planning season. If anyone want to object please feel free to let us know here. Otherwise I'll confirm that date within a few days.
schepers_cp

Post by schepers_cp »

i don't have a problem at all with it, gives me some more time to spend on coding! :D
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Don't make extra time on my behalf. I am one of those people that will keep improving and working on the engine till 3 days before the end and then rush the game logic to finish it.

I have enough back end stuff done now that I could make a decent game, but I know there is still 20% + speed gains to be had playing in the back end.

Schepers_cp, how are you getting along with your game?