UCC2014: The Uzebox Code Challenge! (Extended to Nov 1st)

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.
schepers_cp

Re: UCC2014: The Uzebox Code Challenge is back!

Post by schepers_cp »

you can always give 10$ to every entry for example instead of searching for novice users.

and i'm not sure if i'll enter the contest with my rts to be honest..

with these reasons:
i barely have time and concentration to code, which will most probably result in a not finished game
i'm way to inexperienced to actually do something like that, so it's more like learning how to program for uzebox instead of creating an rts game. :oops:
and my team is only me... :c

for example, this is what i have atm:

you can move the black box (which is the mouse) around on the game screen, and it has some basic unit creation..
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

An RTS is going to be a hard game to do, not that it isn't possible and not that you couldn't do it(even if later in time). It may be unlikely we will actually see an RTS game from UCC2014, as over several years we still don't have any complete games from other simpler genres yet(top down racer,space shooter,fighter). I do sincerely hope judges will give a few extra points in their consideration for a game that is the first in the genre. Maybe I'm wrong and we will see an ambitious RTS come to fruition; I'd be the first to appreciate that accomplishment.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

D3thAdd3r wrote:over several years we still don't have any complete games from other simpler genres yet(top down racer,space shooter,fighter).
Top down racer - I thought corrida-nebososa was a top down racer and also the new guy James just did a very nice demo of a scrolling top down racer.

Is a "Space Shooter" something like R-Type / Gradius or do you mean something like Elite/Starion

Fighter I am guessing Way-of-the-exploding-ferret or Internation-Karate

I have some plans up my sleeve for a pseudo-perspective racer (pole-position / outrun) and also a 3D space thing like Elite. No plans from me for a fighting game though.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I did forget corrida-nebososa, sorry nebososo and I agree that new demo is cool James. But the other genres still stand. We had U-Type and Void Fighter as very promising Gradius type space shooters that I think were abandoned? Point is: I can run cool demos and say neat and even see it's doable, but unfortunately not play it as a game. I'm very guilty of never finishing games so all I'm saying is "I'm just saying" :oops:

Last years contest brought a number of cool games into the library so I can't wait to see what happens this year.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

If Uze could start up a new subsection in the forum for "code challenge classroom" I will try to help people as the go along.

I think having a novice section with checkpoints along the way can draw in more attention to the Uzebox overall.
Good idea! Though I think I'll create a more general section for the contest so people can exchange on the subject all at the same place. If you create a "code challenge classroom" topic, I'll make it so it sticks on top of the section.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

CunningFellow wrote:It is open to unethical people cheating I guess but I can't think of a fairer way.
Yeah it's a good idea, I trust people on this forum as it's a small community united by similar interests. For the time investment I figure a con-job is unlikely, more likely a newbie would benefit, feel good about their accomplishment, and probably stick around. A little write-up is good thinking.

I'm thinking about t-shirts, are people interested? I got one last year and I wear it a lot(put the time in, nice to have physical items representing the hobby). Logo was good last year I thought but maybe some graphics artist will chime in to design a new logo?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Logo was good last year I thought but maybe some graphics artist will chime in to design a new logo?
Logo of the contest or the tshirt? If contest, yeah I agree...I would have liked a newer one too, but I got to push out something for Harty's RetroMagazine. I can work on a new one later on, if you guys have ideas or conceptss, please share. :)
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

D3thAdd3r wrote:I'm very guilty of never finishing games
Same same. I have only finished one Uzebox game so far. I hope to get a few notches on my belt this year though.
Uze wrote:If you create a "code challenge classroom" topic, I'll make it so it sticks on top of the section.
Is it possible to make the sticky thread only able to be posted on and edited by me. I can then distill questions down to the interesting ones along with "best answers" so newbies don't have a 1000 post long thread to read through to find the answers.

When they ask a question, they post a new topic. We can answer it in the new topic. If it is a unique or new question we add that answer to the sticky. Repeated questions that are already answered in the sticky we can just point them too.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Is it possible to make the sticky thread only able to be posted on and edited by me. I can then distill questions down to the interesting ones along with "best answers" so newbies don't have a 1000 post long thread to read through to find the answers.

When they ask a question, they post a new topic. We can answer it in the new topic. If it is a unique or new question we add that answer to the sticky. Repeated questions that are already answered in the sticky we can just point them too.
Yes I think I can do that...create a new topic and I'll try setting the permissions.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yes I think I can do that...create a new topic and I'll try setting the permissions.
I think I screwd up your permissions on the board. Can you test you can still post, edit your post or lock your own topic? If not send me a PM or a mail at uze[at]belogic[.]com.