Gconvert/tile colors messing up

This forum is for artists to post their music and graphics or discuss artistic matters that could be used in Uzebox games.
SquashedFrogger

Gconvert/tile colors messing up

Post by SquashedFrogger »

Hello there,
I am trying to get started making games for the uzebox. I understand the basics and have been doing my reading for a little while now. I'm following the "Generating Tiles and Maps with gconvert" tutorial on the wiki, which is a great tutorial, but I have run into a problem. I downloaded the "urbanmess.png", Image
and converted it into a png 8bit file with only the colors in the "color_table" file in the DevTrunk\gfx folder. thats all fine and dandy, but then I run gconvert with the same xml file that's on the tutorial, and when I run everything in the emulator I get this.(attached) Its not the emulator, in the .inc file tile 0 is all 0x8d which is the purple color when it should be 0x00. I feel like this is a really simple thing that I'm missing but i cant see what's wrong.

Thanks, SquashedFrogger

btw while in my effort to solve this, i made something that could be useful to somebody, idk. It's color_table but 1 pixel per color with no borders. So 256 pixels. I attached it.
Edit: just realized that the colortablesmall is messed up when i uploaded it. not sure how to upload it so it wont get messed up. sorry
Attachments
color_table_small.png
color_table_small.png (1.11 KiB) Viewed 8653 times
WrongColorsUrbanmess.png
WrongColorsUrbanmess.png (51.86 KiB) Viewed 8661 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Gconvert/tile colors messing up

Post by uze6666 »

Hi,

I suspect you somewhat used the color_table.gif as the palette? I never noticed, but the actual color indexes in the palette of this image are not in the same order as what you see. What's normally used for color space conversions is the .ACT palette file in the same folder. You can use it with GIMP and Photoshop.

To avoid future confusion, I fixed the GIF file to have the right color table. It's commited under the trunk. Let me know if it fixes the problem.
SquashedFrogger

Post by SquashedFrogger »

Hey,
It worked!! Thank you a ton for the help. but one thing is that in the Generating Tiles and Maps with gconvert wiki page, it says
1. Open Urbanmess.png with The Gimp and go to Image > Mode > Indexed
2. Select use custom palette, open the palette selection dialog and import and select the Uzebox palette located in
but there's no button to import pallets, I had to research it and you have to right click on the palettes toolbar to get the import palette option, so maybe add a note that you might have to do that so that people don't get thrown off like me. Also the trunk you committed, the bin and roms folders were empty.

Thank You! SquashedFrogger
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yeah, I reworked the tutorial a bit. I'm a Photoshop guys, so I never tested the GIMP part. But indeed, it need to be corrected.
Also the trunk you committed, the bin and roms folders were empty.
The SVN is only for source and never for compiled artifacts. I guess those folders should not even be there. I'll remove them one day. :)