Hidden gem NES music!

This forum is for artists to post their music and graphics or discuss artistic matters that could be used in Uzebox games.
uze6666
Site Admin

Hidden gem NES music!

Post by uze6666 »

Seriously, you guys have to listen to this (Lee you gonna love it!). Ok, the poster have "stereo-tized" the thing a bit but it really sounds that good from the .NSF. Almost Genesis like. First, I though it was a VRC6 song, but nope, it's a plain NES 5 channels song. It heavily uses the PCM channel for some heavy and pumping baselines. Pure awesomeness, can't believe I never heard this before (strangely reminding me of many classic songs from Konami and Technosof thought!). And yes,it can sound as good on the Uzebox current engine!
D3thAdd3r

Re: Hidden gem NES music!

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I'm surprised I never came accross that game, nice find. The quality is over the top, and it's hard to believe the NES can pump out that kind of sound. I hear what you mean, there is, somehow, even a hint of YM2612(genesis sound chip) in there. Really great example of genius use of the hardware. Replicating that can be done, but it looks to be much more involved than my general nsf->midi tutorial way. Upon very quick inspection it looks as if they are using triangle channel for part or all of their precussion?! Maybe I looked at it wrong though. It would be worthwhile to convert one of these, as we have already heard the quality in one uzebox song that takes advantage; the one you did for the submarine game. We would only need a couple of premade bass PCM so every one could have it as a practical possibility. I'd bet it probably takes several hours(and more just to get the process down to science)to fine tune it, where as normally I can go from NSF to decently polished Uzebox version in an hour at this point.
Jubatian

Re: Hidden gem NES music!

Post by Jubatian »

Huh, this is nice indeed :) I wonder how large the music is in the reality, I mean in kilobytes. I checked out a gameplay video of the thing. That game is quite a feat for the NES!