BASICengine SBC

Discuss anything not related to the current Uzebox design like successors and other open source gaming hardware
Matej

BASICengine SBC

Post by Matej »

Have you seen it???

Webpage:
https://basicengine.org

Specs:
ESP8266
63kb ram
build in os+basic
160x200 to 508x240 x 256colors
32x32 sprites
wavetable (custom soundfont possible)
small as RPI
cheap max 15 euro for kit
PSX gamepad port
ps/2 keyboard

More infos on their page.
If someone will build it I will take 2...
D3thAdd3r

Re: BASICengine SBC

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Ah I like the angle there. Really it seemed time someone made an ESP8266 based console beyond just a tech demo. I guess I would want to see a few games on the platform before I jumped on board, and more so an emulator. If a few crazy people really put some work into it, I bet it would end up an interesting platform.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

The video solution is interesting, too, something which also popped up here a while ago: VLSI's 128K SRAM with PAL/NTSC video.

Nice to see it in a serious project!
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I agree that is a neat/weird video chip. Firstly I like the story of how it came to be, but that it can actually offload a lot of the cycles during a scanline. It sounds like this console could have multiple background layers with that offload, and of course the horsepower in the ESP8266 having tens of cycles per pixel! I can't fathom what the asm wizards would do with that!

My skeptical side wonders how much headache YUV adds. I find BASIC unattractive personally, and I always though the retro computers would have been more useful with a built in assembler. For whatever reason though, it seems BASIC is a good approach to draw people into such a project. I think I will have to add this to my collection either way and the build seems not too hard. If I do so I would order and build a few, but no promises as I have about 10 free hours per week if I am lucky.
humildadever

Post by humildadever »

like very much your project i will bought all componentes but i can t bought VS23S010D-L !

Someone know one shop that had in stock! :D :D :D
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

humildadever wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:11 pm like very much your project i will bought all componentes but i can t bought VS23S010D-L !

Someone know one shop that had in stock! :D :D :D
Good luck finding those :? . I would be surprised if they ever got passed the sampling stage due to it being such a niche device. I received 5 of them a couple years ago but never found the motivation to do anything with them.