Hive - Retro computer

Discuss anything not related to the current Uzebox design like successors and other open source gaming hardware
Harty123

Hive - Retro computer

Post by Harty123 »

Hi,

a very interesting retro computer project is the HIVE computer based on 3 Parallax Propeller chips...

http://www.hive-project.de

I've ordered this kit...

-Harty
hpglow

Re: Hive - Retro computer

Post by hpglow »

Interesting, I like the DOS like OS they have running on it.

I wonder why they didn't just wait for the Prop 2 to come out?

I haven't spoke or read German since I was in highschool so I can't really understand the website too much. How much are they asking for this thing?
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

hpglow wrote:Interesting, I like the DOS like OS they have running on it.

I wonder why they didn't just wait for the Prop 2 to come out?

I haven't spoke or read German since I was in highschool so I can't really understand the website too much. How much are they asking for this thing?
there is also a website from Hive friends from the USA:

https://sites.google.com/site/robothome ... ve-project

For the Hive no commercial kits like for the Uzebox exist. It's only possible to order a PCB for 10 €. For german hobbyists they have also a prepared shopping basket for Reichelt (a popular german electronic mail order house) with all parts. The cost for all electronic parts are 60..70 €.

-Harty

P.S. My Hive is nearly finished :D
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

So at current exchange rates just around $90 usd. Not too bad considering all that is involved.
danboid

Post by danboid »

This is so cool!

I only found out about the Hive yesterday. The Hive addresses my two main issues with the Uzebox:

1 - The AVR is not an open source chip design like the propellor

2 - The Hive has VGA (and more RAM)

Looking at the hive forum it looks like it never gained a sizeable user base, which is sad.

I suspect it never found much success because it requires 3x propellor MCUs. Maybe RISC-V will bring us a decent and affordable fully open source computer platform? There are the Raptor PPC machines already if you are prepared to pay double that of an equivalent x86-64 machine.

Did you ever get your Hive built and running Harty123?