Gameduino 3X Dazzler

Discuss anything not related to the current Uzebox design like successors and other open source gaming hardware
danboid

Gameduino 3X Dazzler

Post by danboid »

The Gameduino 3X Dazzler is arguably the best contender for a modern UB successor that I've seen yet.

GPU: BT815 1.1 gigapixel/s embedded GPU with 8 Mbyte flash
FPGA: Xilinx Spartan-6 LX9 FT256 with 8 Mbyte flash
Video output: HDMI 24-bit at 1280x720 (720p) with 48 KHz stereo audio
Storage: microSD slot
Extra input: two Wii Classic controller ports
Form-factor:
Gameduino 3X Dazzler is an Arduino-compatible shield
The shield includes the Dazzler Core, which is an SMD module that includes GPU, FPGA, and HDMI
Hardware interfaces:
Standard SPI up to 36 MHz for Arduino communication
UART up to 1 Mbps for FPGA connection
JTAG for FPGA reloading
All inputs are 5 V tolerant
Programming: Gameduino library for Arduino and CircuitPython. Dozens of examples.
Terminal mode: functions as an ANSI terminal with high-speed UART
Current consumption (typical): 180 mA
Dimensions: 83 mm x 53 mm x 20 mm

All open hardware and only ~$42, with a FPGA! Of course that presumes you already have an Arduino but they're only ~$20.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/excamera/ga ... 3x-dazzler
CunningFellow

Re: Gameduino 3X Dazzler

Post by CunningFellow »

This completely lacks what I think makes the Uzebox fun.

The strict limitations on CPU/RAM in the Uzebox makes it a challenge.

I am a masochist I guess. If I am going to move on from the Uzebox it will probably be in the other direction and seeing what I can build with just 7400 logic. Also no 10nS SRAM. I get sick of seeing people saying "I could have made this system in the 80s and it would have been better than an Amiga/Transputer/Cray2" and they have a 32 bit wide, 2 megabyte, 10nS SRAM right in the middle of their 74VHCTxxx chips.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I suppose that if one of the main draws (or THE main draw) of the UB is its minimalism then this cannot be considered a successor or an alternative what with its nifty GPU, FPGA etc but for those who want a cheap, open hardware, Atmel family based homebrew gaming platform I haven't seen anything better.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I sort of think an FPGA only device could be possible. Model say a 6502, and some other items, hook some resistors, an SD, output some VGA. I never managed to get all my Uzebox ideas completed, so I definitely do not need a bigger system with bigger goals!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Limitations is what makes it fun for me too. Create awesome games out of a chip that was made to run in washing machines! :P