New Games and Genres for 2018!?

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
L4rry

Re: New Games and Genres for 2018!?

Post by L4rry »

So I've decided to pivot away from a beat'm up sadly. Partly because I'm absolutely failing to get inspired by any good design ideas and partly because I want to develop in mode 3 and the required sprite and ram tile count to properly articulate subtle fight postures (punches, kicks etc.) to make such a game interesting is too high. Based on my experiments anyway. (I'm sure something could be done in mode 74, but I'm not quite ready yet to move to a new video mode).

Mostly though, I woke up this morning with an idea for an action RPG that's got me excited :) Some design scribbles later I'm confident I can get something compelling enough implemented using my newly implemented 4 way smooth scrolling. Along with level compression I believe I can get something interesting and fairly 'open worldy' done using flash only. (Flash only is a requirement for me, I don't want to rely on SD storage. I'm attracted to the idea of working within the 60K limitation)

Anyway I thought I'd share in case someone else might want to attack the beat'm up genre and was perhaps waiting to see what I come up with. Also I think this is not the only RPG in the works, but it will be an original idea and not a port so I think even though we might end up with a few RPGs over the next year I'm confident we'll end up with diverse enough games to still keep it all interesting :)

This will likely be my entry in the Uzebox code challenge and I'm also going to share my progress in a WIP forum once I get a demo up and running in an effort to be more open and interactive with what I'm working on.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Sorry to hear that you aren't doing the beat 'em up, I was looking forward to seeing how you got past the sprite limitation in mode 3.

I'm glad you are pivoting to another game though. :-) I totally understand your self-imposed flash-only limitation, it's fun to work with constraints.

Is it 4-way scrolling (only one direction at a time) or can you also scroll diagonally (8-way)? Just curious.

Good luck!
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Artcfox wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 pm Is it 4-way scrolling (only one direction at a time) or can you also scroll diagonally (8-way)? Just curious.
Good luck!
Oh good question. Technically 8 Way is no problem. My Algorithms support diagonal scrolling. There is of-course a performance hit when you go diagonally because you need to draw both columns and rows off screen, as apposed to one or the other. Another aspect of that is if you have a 'top down' camera typical of RPGs, you would also need to cater for diagonal sprites in general game play.