All I want to say...

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
L4rry

All I want to say...

Post by L4rry »

... Is that I love you guys very much! :D

Thanks for providing this amazing gaming platform. You rock!

Super happy to have a small part in this great community :mrgreen:

When life gets tough, or the world seems like it will implode, I can always count on reading Uzebox forums to make me happy :)
Last edited by L4rry on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artcfox

Re: All I want to say...

Post by Artcfox »

I hear you there! I have my ebbs and flows of when I'm really into Uzebox and actively developing, and when life puts to much on my plate, and I can't. But when I finally get some free time at night I'll come back here to catch up on the latest happenings.

Thank you L4rry for joining this community and making it even better!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Thanks man, really love to hear that! So many hours was put in this project from so many talented and creative peoples, sometime it just blows my mind. :P Still going strong after almost 10 years is a feat in itself and we can all be proud of it. And with the new video modes and work by Jubatian on the kernel, no doubt there's a lot of life left in this little microcontroller!
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I concur to all statements in this thread :)
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

One of the best ways to learn is to do. Uzebox has the challenge because it requires so many different types of knowledge.

Music: Midi, PCM. Flash-based or streaming. Resource management: Flash, RAM. Expansions: SD Card, SPIRAM, UzeNet.

Oh, and C. Structs, and pointers, and function pointers. So much to learn.

But wait! There's more! Uzebox already had some tools such as midiconv and gconvert. But I've found that you really have to create a good workflow. In my case I ported gconvert to Javascript and wrote lots of tools to make it easier to create games. So, it wasn't just C that I learned via Uzebox. I applied those skills to other platforms. I have written C programs for Linux/Windows and lots of web-based programs. Javascript and HTML5 Canvas allowed me to do so much. C is the basis of many other languages so I came in prepared.

What am I trying to say? Uzebox has been a gateway to learning. That equals experience, or "doing" and through the forums help has been provided along the way.

So, thank you all for a safe and rewarding hobby that actually changed my career for the better even though I don't write video games for my job.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Sure! Doing all this 8 bit stuff is certainly entertaining, and although I myself am not much of a gamer, I see how much it can be enjoyed, even simple games. It is fun to bring this console to friends :) (We need more two player games! :D )

L4rry: Didn't you post a picture of yourself earlier here? (Or am I mixing up something?) I thought it a fun idea to see who's who, here's a link to my site's Biography section, a bit dated, but still fairly accurate.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Jubatian wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:56 pm L4rry: Didn't you post a picture of yourself earlier here? (Or am I mixing up something?) I thought it a fun idea to see who's who, here's a link to my site's Biography section, a bit dated, but still fairly accurate.
I did indeed :) I just thought after a bit maybe I shouldn't be cluttering up the forums with my mug shot :P Don't want to be scaring away potential new members :mrgreen: But yeah, should be fun to see what everybody looks like. A nice personal touch :) I'm starting to expect Keanu Reeves movies these days to come with the credit: "Starring - uze6666' :lol: So in the spirit of sharing, here's a less intrusive bio (linkedin) of myself
nicksen782 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:54 pm But I've found that you really have to create a good workflow
Absolutely. I'm still optimizing my workflow. Right now my tool chain consists of gcc, gimp, audacity (pcm), anvil studio, codelite, vim, gconvert, midiconv and if I can ever complete my game music course, fruity loops :) There is definitely some space for a VERY ambitious dev (team) to develop an integrated development and workflow environment. But then learning all these new tools is part of the fun.