First post: Welcome to the Uzebox forums!

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
havok1919

Re: First post: Welcome to the Uzebox forums!

Post by havok1919 »

DaveyPocket wrote:Is 78.750Mhz possible?
I would have to guess not-- that's pretty fast for a Flash memory cell. (I think most of Atmel's Flash processes crap out before that.) The few times I've discussed it with the Atmel factory guys (usually in reference to the SAM7/9's) they've said that the Flash is the limiting factor on the clock speed.

A long while back we used to build modems that needed 45ns Flash parts. I think AMD was the only manufacturer that had them. They had run out at one point and after much wrangling back and forth they ended up sending us 70ns parts that they said would run (although they wouldn't guarantee it). All the speed grades were the same die, it was just a matter of how much time they spent on the tester sorting/binning them based on individual part characteristics.

-Clay
neirons

Post by neirons »

I wish to thank the author of the project for so surprising work. And as it is my first post, to tell all: greetings from Latvia (somewhere in europe) :)
Tnx, Uze
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Thanks and welcome onboard!

-Uze
D.C.

Post by D.C. »

Hey guys. I came across this great project a couple of months ago, but didn't have the confidence to make a uzebox myself. However a few days ago I had the luck of "winning" a uzebox in the sparkfun free day giveaway :). So while I wait for my uzebox to arrive, I'm looking through the forum to learn the basics of programming on the platform.

I'm a big fan of classic 8/16-bit games and would like to eventually write my own game. I don't know a lick about how such games operate under the hood (i.e. sprite engine, sound engine etc), so if anyone knows a great book or site/tutorial that would be useful, please let me know. I'm eager to learn :).
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Hey D.C. glad to see you're joining the ranks. Congrats on your new toy :) . If you already have a little experience with games a good place to start learning the Uzebox specific bits is reading up on the Wiki/Forums like you're doing and checking out the available source for the games/demos. There is a working example for every standard video mode and the kernel is really straight forward to work with. Quickest way to get your feet wet is to just dive in, get your development environment setup, the emulator, and start working off an existing project (maybe something similar to a game you have in mind) until you get the hang of the kernel details. There's a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people around here also if you have questions. Welcome aboard!
paul

Post by paul »

Welcome, D.C.

Yup, you can dive in with just the emulator (hell, I'm still only using it :lol: ).
harryroy

Post by harryroy »

Hello everyone
I am new here and i join this community today,Thanks to author who has done this project community ,Actually my friend told me about this website and after see and read some forums reply from this website i like it,So thanks for give this chance to share some personal comments here
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Welcome on board Harryroy!
D.C.

Post by D.C. »

D3thAdd3r wrote:Hey D.C. glad to see you're joining the ranks. Congrats on your new toy :) . If you already have a little experience with games a good place to start learning the Uzebox specific bits is reading up on the Wiki/Forums like you're doing and checking out the available source for the games/demos. There is a working example for every standard video mode and the kernel is really straight forward to work with. Quickest way to get your feet wet is to just dive in, get your development environment setup, the emulator, and start working off an existing project (maybe something similar to a game you have in mind) until you get the hang of the kernel details. There's a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people around here also if you have questions. Welcome aboard!
I don't have any experience with games, but I was able to run the "Hello World" program in the emulator :P. I just got my uzebox in the mail today, so I'm ready to have some fun with it. Does anyone know a good book or tutorial on sprite engines and anything related to 8 bit game programming in general? This is just so | can understand what game development on such a platform encompasses as far as theory goes. Judging from the available software (kernel, libs, emulator, etc) you guys definitely know what you're doing :D . Hopefully I'll have some fun games to share with you guys&gals in the near future.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Definitely start small if you are new to games, and don't belittle your small successes! I can all but guarantee no one here started making their first games of the calibre of pacman,megatris,etc.
Try making a "ball" game or and older atari game: warlords, combat, or similar. That will be challenging enough, once start to get the hang of Input-Logic-Render you are making progress that applies anywhere afterwards.

BTW: 8 bit theory on the Uzebox, since we're programming in C, basically means: use unsigned chars,no floats,no linked lists, just stay away from high level overhead when possible.