First post: Welcome to the Uzebox forums!

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: First post: Welcome to the Uzebox forums!

Post by uze6666 »

Does anyone know a good book or tutorial on sprite engines and anything related to 8 bit game programming in general?
I'd suggest you look for NES tutorials since there's a truckload on the net. Considering the similarities in design like 8-bit, tile-based, sprites and 4 channel sound engine I think it could get you going relatively "quickly".

-Uze
D.C.

Post by D.C. »

Thanks for all the advice guys. How far can the platform be pushed graphically, are games of NES (a la Super Mario Bros 3) or SNES quality possible?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

How far can the platform be pushed graphically, are games of NES (a la Super Mario Bros 3) or SNES quality possible?
I'd say there is/going to be a lot of unique potential that the NES never had. SNES would be hard to match against anything except colors/cpu cycles. I think the hardware will be capable of something similar to Mario 3 and easily better looking, definitely check out Platz if you're thinking of a platformer.
Kerby

Post by Kerby »

Hi! I have many ideas of small games, I will try to do them Usebox. It with new ideas ... What about the popular games, such as Super Mario. Can I ipolzovat game titles, music, pictures and other resources?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hi kerby, welcome to the uzebox community! You are free to rip whatever resources from classic games, many have done it before. It's often more motivating that way, specially for those who doesn't have much artistic talents. That said, it's always better to strive for original games, or new titles for existing games. Since Uzebox games will have it's own flavor due to it's limitations using titles like Megatris or Würgertime seems more appropriate.