Uzebox Moving to GitHub

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
uze6666
Site Admin

Uzebox Moving to GitHub

Post by uze6666 »

Google announced Friday it will shut down google codeafter 9 years. It sucks because I have better things to do than migrate the code base, learn a new source control tool and what else. :roll:

Anyways, I'll look into this within the next few days. I have removed commit privileges to all while the migration is done.

I'll keep you posted.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Uzebox Moving to GitHub

Post by uze6666 »

The new Uzebox sources home is now: https://github.com/Uzebox/uzebox. I have some reading to do since I don't know much about git.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I had finally started to use SVN :lol:

Seems everyone has jumped on that bandwagon and all the ESP8266 stuff uses it..let me know if you used some specific overview/tutorial that was good.
shockdesign

Post by shockdesign »

Github (or git) is really simple to use.. glad for the move!

Essentially any changes can be done via a Pull Request, and it's a lot easier to merge all those in, and validate those changes.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Just an FYI for anyone who has not yet migrated everything of importance (source code to Uzebox games) off Google Code:

Google Code will be turning read-only on August 25th. See this post for more information.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Artcfox wrote:Just an FYI for anyone who has not yet migrated everything of importance (source code to Uzebox games) off Google Code:

Google Code will be turning read-only on August 25th. See this post for more information.
Lee and Paul, time to move you stuff over to Github!
diegzumillo

Post by diegzumillo »

I also heard Github was purchased (or in negotiations to) by Microsoft. So don't get too comfy with Github either! MS has a history.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

diegzumillo wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:12 pmI also heard Github was purchased (or in negotiations to) by Microsoft. So don't get too comfy with Github either! MS has a history.
Not that I like this happening, but I don't think Microsoft can do too much bad there. They might end up ruining GitHub, sure, but the worst loss there would be just the issue tracker. Git is decentralized, it is not too hard to move a repo with its full history & forks somewhere else in need (GitHub actually has nothing to do with Git itself, they just offer hosting for Git based projects, I mean Microsoft can do nothing more or less to Git than before with this move).
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

"Embrace, extend, and extinguish".

They may not be able to harm the git protocol itself but they may offer some "improved" version which soon becomes mandatory and is not compatible.

We shall see.