Games Tested with Retroarch (Uzem emulator)

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
mrjpaxton

Games Tested with Retroarch (Uzem emulator)

Post by mrjpaxton »

Hey everyone,

I spent some time with the Uzem core in the Flathub version of Retroarch on Debian Linux, playing each game for around 30s or more, at least the ones I enjoy, and then wrote down a list of all the games that are not working, since most of them do work fine! However, there's always some exceptions.

I hope that my quality control will help this open source developer community, including the Retroarch team, continue to improve and get most of the games ready for immediate and seamless play with the Uzem core in Retroarch. I love doing this sort of thing, and I'm happy to help out. :)

Without further ado, here's the list of the Uzebox ROMs that are NOT WORKING with the Uzem emulator core in Retroarch (Flatpak version)

Code: Select all

## Completed Games

Alter Ego - Boots and runs, but complains about "SD Error."
Candle Burner - Not working at all.
Chickens in Choppers - Boots, but complains about "File level not found on SD card."
Columns - Not working at all.
ESD Attack - Boots and runs, but the game cannot be started. Hard to find a ".uze" file, but I have one (it's broken). So I will keep it for now. Available upon request.
Fifteen Puzzle - Not working at all.
Pac-Man (Full version) - Pac-Man Lite version works fine, but the full version as an Uze file doesn't exist. Author claims it is not technically possible to do so due to file size limitations. Cannot test the full version, regardless.
Pill Dropper Arcade - No ".uze" file, only ".hex" and source available. The emulator needs an ".uze" file. I cannot assume if it works, or not.
Roguze - Boots, maybe runs, since a faint boot-up sound can be heard. Only shows a blank screen. WARNING: Freezes Retroarch! Have to use `pkill -9 retroarch` from another console to get out.
Toorum's Quest - Boots and runs, but complains about no highscore file able to be read, and about "toorumsq.dat" unable to be read (SD card errors).
Smokey and the bandit - Cannot find a ".uze" file for this, so I cannot assume if it works, or not.
Tornado 2000 - Boots and runs, then shows a message, "Level file not found on SD Card."
Whack-a-Mole - While it technically works with the D-pad, I want to mention that this, and the Calculator Demo, are the only two known ROMs that use SNES mouse input. The SNES mouse is not supported with the Uzem core in Retroarch.

## WIP Games and Demos

8-way Scrolling Demo - No info or downloads on the Wiki, yet.
Bubble Bobble - No info or downloads on the Wiki, yet.
Calculator Demo - Boots and runs, but the Retroarch Uzem core has no SNES mouse support, yet. No fallback input device can be used either (like the controller or keyboard).
Castlevania - Not working at all.
Dig Dug - No info or downloads on the Wiki, yet.
Filled Polygon Demo - Listed on the Wiki, but no page, downloads, or info for it.
Fliptris / Medieval Melee - Not much info, nor any downloads on the Wiki, yet.
Halloween '08 Demo - Unsure if working, since there is no known Uze or source files available on the Wiki.
Image Viewer v1 - Boots up, does not run. Just shows a blank screen.
Image Viewer v2 - Same issues as Image Viewer v1.
Mode 80 Demo - No Uze files available. Unsure if working. The link to the Uze file is broken on its Wiki page.
Mode 9 Demo - No Uze files available. Unsure if working. Seems to work in the browser-based CUzebox emulator, but unsure if it will work in the Uzem core in Retroarch.
Movie Player - Download link to the HEX file is broken, and I doubt this will work in an emulator without hacks/optimizations/tweaks anyway.
SD Card Demo - Based on how so far every single game that uses SD card oprations work, the chances of this one working is... very doubtful.
Sprite Engine v2 Demo - No Uze files available. Unsure if working. Seems to work in the browser-based CUzebox emulator, but unsure if it will work in the Uzem core in Retroarch.
Super Mario Land Demo - Listed on the Wiki, but no page, gameplay screenshot, downloads, or info for it.
U-Type - Wrong files on Wiki. The download links to "Uze-a-Move" Uze file instead, which works fine. But I cannot assume if U-Type works, since I don't have it.
Uzecast Demo 1 - There is no Uze file for this one, but there is for Uzecast Demo 2. Demo 2 works fine, but unsure if Demo 1 will.
UzeJump - No info or downloads on the Wiki, yet.
Uze Mario - Boots, but does not run. Probably because it cannot read the ".umm" map files without proper SD card support.
Uzetroid(s) - Listed on the Wiki, but no gameplay screenshot, downloads, or info for it.
Void Fighter - No info or downloads on the Wiki, yet.
Zelda II - No info or downloads on the Wiki. However, there is a browser-only link. It seems to work with the browser-based CUzebox emulator, but unsure if it will work in the Uzem core in Retroarch.

## Utils / Other

Controller Tester - Boots and runs, but does not detect any controllers at all. Use "Controller Tester 2" instead, which works with the emulator.
Emuze - Boots and runs. Don't know how to use this thing, and it probably doesn't work with the emulator, however.
Uze8 - Not working at all. Yo dawg, I heard you like emulators...
Uzeamp - Boots and runs fine, but cannot read any files.
UzeBeats - Not working at all.
UzeBurn - Boots and runs, but shows things like, "Unknown fault code", "Execution chain fault", and "Detected fault", all while the cursor scrolls down infinately.
That is all I have tested as "not working", based off of ones listed on the Wiki. There may be some rare demos or games that exist outside of the Wiki that I haven't played/tested yet. Let me know if you would like it tested. Hopefully more games will be added to the Wiki so I can test them.

If there's any updates, such as games that previously were not working, do actually work, or if games that used to work do not work anymore, or if a game is moved from "WIP" to "Released", then I will update the lists when I can.

I will also supply a "games-tested.txt" file, of every single game that I hae tested. Before you send me a request, please search (Ctrl-F) through the list first before you do so. If there are multiple versions of a game that I don't know about, you may request that I try out a specific version of it, especially if it's something unlisted on the Wiki, and provided that you give me the ".uze" file to try out. Again, I cannot test ".hex" files, since they do not work with the emulator. I can't figure out if there even is a way to get it working with it...

I will quickly mention that I have some harder to find JAMMA versions of the games, since I downloaded an Internet Archives collection (won't say where). My quick synopsis of the JAMMA games is that there seems to be no way of inserting coins. I tried the JAMMA version of both Flight of a Dragon and Iros, and couldn't get past the title screen where it said to insert coins. But if there is a way to insert coins in the emulator, let me know.

Thanks for reading. Hope to hear some feedback!
Attachments
games-tested.txt
(12.9 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
CunningFellow

Re: Games Tested with Retroarch (Uzem emulator)

Post by CunningFellow »

To me it looks like all the games that use the SD card for data/level files are not working.

I do remember that the emulator, at least at one stage, would only look at the first so many files in the directory.

If you just have a single UZE file and its associated data file - choose the first one alter ego.

ae.uze
aedat.bin

and not try to have all the other uze files you are testing present.

Does that help?
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Games Tested with Retroarch (Uzem emulator)

Post by uze6666 »

Yeah, but some of them doesn't use the SD and also seems to fail. Some are relatively old and used basic AVR ports and peripherals. I'm specially thinking about ESD attack, candle burner and 15 puzzles. For the OP, I've attached the .UZE file for ESD attack. I can confirm it works on everything (hardware, uzem and Cuzebox).
Attachments
esd-attack.uze
(54.91 KiB) Downloaded 60 times