Main uzebox repo broken and unmaintained

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
danboid

Main uzebox repo broken and unmaintained

Post by danboid »

The main Uzebox repo (or at least uzem, which is the first thing it tries to build) doesn't build under Arch and recent version of Debian with gcc 12:

https://github.com/Uzebox/uzebox/issues/103

I reported that over two weeks ago but nobody (Jubatian?) has replied yet. In addition to that there are two simple PR's (just edits of the README) that have been waiting to be looked at for about 2 years now so I think its fair to say the UB repo isn't being maintained any more unfortunately.

Presuming its OK with Jubatian - I've not asked him yet - would anyone more experienced with UB dev than me be willing to take over ownership of the UB repo and keep it in a working state? It seems pretty important for the continuation of the platform that the main repo works under current Linux distros.
danboid

Re: Main uzebox repo broken and unmaintained

Post by danboid »

I have emailed Jubatian to check he's OK and see if he saw my bug report.
danboid

Post by danboid »

uzem can still be successfully built under Debian testing / gcc 12 by disabling GDB support:

Code: Select all

cd uzebox/tools/uzem 
NOGDB=1 make release
danboid

Post by danboid »

The workaround to get this repo to build except uzem under current distros is to comment out line 15 ie

#TOOLS += uzem

in the top Makefile
danboid

Post by danboid »

I've not had an email back from Jubatian yet. We should give him another week or so to reply yet but how long do we wait until we fork the UB repo and establish a new official, maintained repo?

I am presuming that Jubatian is the only person with write access to the Uzebox repo?
ry755

Post by ry755 »

danboid wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:33 am I am presuming that Jubatian is the only person with write access to the Uzebox repo?
uze6666 is actually the main person with write accress to the repo, considering he's the one who created the project. He isn't as active as he used to be, but he still checks the forums every now and then.
But yeah I'm also worried about Jubatian as well, I hope he's doing alright. I haven't heard anything from him in a long time.
danboid

Post by danboid »

That's good news about Uze having write access. Hopefully he will do something about the PRs and some of the most pressing bugs but if not then maybe he can assign a new maintainer who will. It has been a full week since I emailed Jubatian now and I've not had a reply.

Uze:

If the official cuzebox repo is no longer maintained, what about replacing Uzem with cuzebox as the official emulator? Uzem could remain in the official repo but cuzebox would get built by default instead of Uzem.
danboid

Post by danboid »

On a sorta related note, I tried requesting a Uzebox wiki account a couple of years ago but I never received any login details, if they ever get sent?

Do you maintain the wiki Uze? If so, could you approve me please?

Thanks!
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

I believe I still have write permissions to the Uzebox repo. I've just been out of the loop for a while, focusing on other things, but CunningFellow has been slowly pulling me back into things, and I've been thinking about making another Uzebox game.
danboid

Post by danboid »

If you do, it'd be good if you could fix uzem's gdb support and merge the PRs for the README.

What do you think about replacing uzem with cuzebox?