Uze gone? Demo comps

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
danboid

Uze gone? Demo comps

Post by danboid »

Does Uze (Alec) not participate in this forum any more? I hope he's OK.

I know about the UCC but has the UB ever been a target platform for a demo party comp? I know a lot of demo parties have 4K competitions but they're usually PC demos. The UB seems like a more appropriate platform for 4K demo comps :)
Artcfox

Re: Uze gone? Demo comps

Post by Artcfox »

He pops in now and again.

Isn't that what this community is already? ;) At least that is how I think of it!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Does Uze (Alec) not participate in this forum any more? I hope he's OK.
Oh, he's not dead. Well, not yet. ;)

Was quite busy with life matters in the last year, but I was lurking every now and then. Things have pretty much settled and I need something to hack on to. First finish the Uzebox PC then some game or perhaps even hacking on the MiSTER for a Uzebox Core. :)
danboid

Post by danboid »

It doesn't seem Uze has visited these forums in quite some time now so I hope he's OK?

This begs the awkward and not at all fun question of do we have the bus factor accounted and planned for? I know he's a talented guy but he's probably not immortal.
danboid

Post by danboid »

On a more positive note and relating to Uzebox vs the demo scene, I recently contacted the webmaster of pouet.net and asked about adding Uzebox as a platform to their database. garg sed "If people make enough demos for it, we'll add it as a platform :)"

Can't say fairer than that! The Uzebox should be a standard platform for 4K and 64K demos, alongside the C64, Amiga and PC.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Seeing as no-one has replied I think its safe to assume that Alec hasn't arranged for the handover of the Uzebox website in the event of him no longer being able to maintain it. I'd like to see that get arranged. DA and Artcfox would be the obvious first two in line to get the keys and passwords, which I'm presuming could get sent by Alecs wife or kids, if he has any?

Sorry to get all serious. I hope he's doing fine and is just too busy to have fun with the Uzebox community. I'm sure he'd like to have more time for Uzebox stuff but this is an inevitability we should prepare for.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Well let's send anti-bus prayers towards Alec :)

We could probably do a competition next year if there would be enough participants. We'd need some donations for prizes which I would pitch in for. It always seemed like there were surprise contestants popping up at those times, and ended with more games than I expected which is cool.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Those injections have led to millions (if not billions) of premature deaths so I hope Alec wasn't one of the victims.

That's cool to hear about the comps. I get the impression there are definitely several (at least in the tens, if not hundreds) of people who regularly read these forums who never post. Maybe they don't think they can compete with my almighty posts of wonder? Ha! No, I'd definitely like to see more participation on here.

I am going to continue to chip away at rewriting Uzeamp to use PFS. I might be able to claim to know C if I can pull that off, its definitely a bit more involved than IKD but its still only a wee program so it seems doable, I just have to be in right mood to do any coding in my spare time.

Another project I'm all set on is writing that silly X-COPY simulator. That is the "killer app" for the Uzebox light pipe :D . The trick will be to get the disk noises and the blinking of the power led when copying a disk as accurate as possible. My floppy disk drive is dead on my A600 so it would be filling a vital hole in my Amiga computing life and give people such as yourself a chance to relive a key part of the Amiga scene on the most hacker friendly of platforms.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I'm genuinely worried now.

I don't suppose anyone has a contact for any of Alecs family or friends so we can find out if he's OK?

Alternately, how do we find deaths registered in Canada?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hi Guys,

It was close but thanks god the bus missed me!

I am very sorry for not replying earlier, some health issues left me quite frankly with not much energy for anything during several months. I'm getting much better now, so no worries. I agree about you bus argument, and I'm totally open about discussing options. In the mean time, I'll give my brother the web hosting account credentials in case something happens. So he can take actions and notify the community. He knows and cares for the whole thing. He's know as Codecrank on this forum, the one who made Dr.Mario.

Btw, thanks for holding the fort for those months. I can see I have a heck of a lot of catch-up to do. And patches to apply on the apps (the wiki seems partially broken), github issues, finish my damn video for the Uzebox PC and...release the UzeboxPC. Will have to take it one thing at a time. :)