CYGWIN telnet server setup on windows
In order to use the Uzebox to telnet into your Windows machine, you need a telnet server installed. Since Windows 10, Microsoft has removed the telnet server component. This page details how to install and run the Cygwin's Telnet server as a service on your PC.
- Download Cygwin installer:  (x64 or 32-bit) then run setup and install the following additional components:
- Caterory Admin-> Cygrunsrv
- Caterory Net-> Inetutils-server, xinetd, tcp_wrappers
- As an administrator, open the computer management console and create a new user named "cyg_server" with admin previledges and assign it a password
- Run gpedit.msc then go under Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->User Rights Management->Replace a process level token
- Right-click propertie and add the user cyg_server
- Add c:\cygwin\bin to your system PATH variable
- Edit c:\cygwin\etc\xinetd.d\telnet and set "disable=no"
- Run the Cygwin console as an administrator (important):
- Run: xinetd-config and follow the steps to set xinetd as a service. Keep cyg_Server as user and enter the password.
- Run: cygrunsrv -S xinetd to start the service
If you get an error like "cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.", open the services management console, locate CYGWIN xinetd, right-click properties, Logon and reenter the password. Then restart the service.