|Code license|| |
or (at your option) any later version.
|Media license||version 3.0|
Tornado 2000 is an 8bit de-make of Tempest 2000 for the 64 bit Atari Jaguar. The games uses a custom two bit per pixel ramTile based video mode enhanced with SD card streaming. The mode was developed specifically for this game.
Features of the video mode that enable the fast paced action are
- 256 pixels (and 32 tiles wide) to speed up maths
- Fixed RAM locations (on boundaries) for VRAM and tileRAM
- Interrupt ended pixel output routines
- Pixel output colour decisions made in a giant ASM "Case" statement
- Simplified mathematical approximations for jump vectors in the above "Case" statement
- Extended front and back porch that gives time for the CPU to clear the screen during video render
- Background "web" streamed from SD card behind the foreground colours
- Hand crafted ASM code for Bresenham line draw code
- Mild amount of insanity on the part of the coder :)
The game was presented as an advanced demo and ranked 4th at UCC2014.
The final version of the game was released June 2015
During Title/Credits/Attract mode
Start = Start game
During the game
Left = Rotate claw clockwise
Right = Rotate claw anticlockwise
Down = Jump (after collecting power-up)
A = Fire
B = Fire SuperZapper (smart bomb)
Start = Pause Game
Power ups are the green spinny things some aliens leave behind when they die.
Anything coming UP the web towards you apart from power ups will kill you.
Shoot any thing that can kill you. Try not to die. Watch someone play Tempest 2000 on youtube to get the idea.