Android game console for 99$

Share unrelated electronics stuff, ideas, rants, etc!
Harty123

Android game console for 99$

Post by Harty123 »

Hi,

this looks very interesting:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/2/313400 ... yves-behar

Perhaps also an concept for Uzebox 2.0 :ugeek:

-Harty
hpglow

Re: Android game console for 99$

Post by hpglow »

I was thinking of investing in the Kickstarter project for it. I'm just worried that the Tegra 3 will be dated by the time they get it out.
Flecko

Post by Flecko »

Just based on how entrenched the current 3 players are in the home console front, I'd love to see someone come along and disrupt things. I mean, more choice is always a win for consumers. And think about it, the cheapest console from the last generation still ran $250 (Wii) when it was new...and it wasn't even as advanced as the Ouya is going to be.

I say go for it!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hmmm, seems a nice idea, though I'm wondering how the interface is going to work. Android is a touch-based interface and all current games are made for that. How will this work with a TV? Is there going to be a Kinect-style controller or game makers will have to add an additional game controller interface? I guess that games will be dedicated. I saw that they funded 4M on Kickstarter with 27 days to go...wow..good luck to them! :)

-Uze
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

uze6666 wrote:Hmmm, seems a nice idea, though I'm wondering how the interface is going to work. Android is a touch-based interface and all current games are made for that. How will this work with a TV? Is there going to be a Kinect-style controller or game makers will have to add an additional game controller interface? I guess that games will be dedicated. I saw that they funded 4M on Kickstarter with 27 days to go...wow..good luck to them! :)

-Uze
Android can be ported to many devices not utilizing touch screens. It's a nice OS with a modified Linux kernel and it widely used on ARM based platforms. It would seem simple in a way to get an ARM system running with Android and adding a custom UI. They've done this with Google TV already.