Some roms not working in Uzem

The Uzebox now have a fully functional emulator! Download and discuss it here.
garretraziel

Some roms not working in Uzem

Post by garretraziel »

First of all, hi!

I'm going to solder my own Uzebox, but before I do it, I want to learn how to use uzebox sdk. I've checkouted latest svn version of uzebox sdk (I can't compile version marked as 3.3 under Linux). After small changes (I got to make two arrays constant in VectorDemo) I was able to compile both tools and ROMs. I'm using 32bit Arch Linux, kernel 3.3.7. Problem is that I can run several demos in uzem, but several I can't. I can run Arkanoid.hex, DrMario.hex, Megatris.hex, but I can't run Mode5demo.hex, Mode9demo.hex or even tutorial.hex. It shows only black screen and I can't even stop it, I have to kill it.

I tried it on my 64bit Fedora 16 (kernel 3.3.6) and it works without problem.

Does anybody know where could be the problem? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

Thanks.
DaveyPocket

Re: Some roms not working in Uzem

Post by DaveyPocket »

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the emulator on Linux (I'm not a Linux user myself, so I wouldn't know for sure) or the emulator not being up to date itself.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Same for me, I'm no Linux user, so can't help much. That said, I can guarantee it run all roms fine on Windows, so I suspect the tool chain. Perhaps something to do with int sizes or something like that?
garretraziel

Post by garretraziel »

But shouldn't int have same length on 32bit Windows as on 32bit Linux? Weird thing is that "complicated" roms are working, but simple tutorial rom is not.

Is there someone with 32bit Linux who knows what is wrong and what to do with it?
Flecko

Post by Flecko »

I'm on 32bit Linux.

I'll try to get the latest version out of SVN tonight and give it a shot and get back to you.
We'll get to the bottom of this...
garretraziel

Post by garretraziel »

OK, feel free to ask if you'll want some additional info. I still don't get why most of the games do work, but the "simplest" don't. I thought about it, can't it be problem with sound? "tutorial" rom or demos doesn't have any sound, but others do have.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

Sound could be a possibility. I remember one post a while back that mentioned something about the emulator having issues with synchronization of the sound engine and that it depended on it in some way. I'm starting to think since the sound engine was updated that it may be conflicting with newly built games/demos utilizing the new sound engine. But again, not entirely sure on that. Uze might have more knowledge on this subject.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I'm starting to think since the sound engine was updated that it may be conflicting with newly built games/demos utilizing the new sound engine.
Hmmm, that's quite possible. I'll double check that as soon as I get time.
Flecko

Post by Flecko »

I'm really sorry for not having replied with some results yet...I just reinstalled my OS over the weekend because I had some weird library conflicts going on under Linux Mint that was preventing my compiler from working correctly.

I'm back on Ubuntu now, and will hopefully have some time early this week to test it out.
I didn't foget...I promise!
garretraziel

Post by garretraziel »

And does anyone other have this problem on Linux? As I said, I have problem on 32bit Archlinux but not on 64bit Fedora. Problem could be 32bit vs. 64bit, but it may be problem between distros as well.

BTW. just ordered euzebox base kit