Uzebox Quick Start

What is a Uzebox? How can I get one? Check here!
RafaelDPerez

Re: Uzebox Quick Start

Post by RafaelDPerez »

Hello everyone!

I apologize cause I didn't answer to your posts earlier. You all were very helpful and I'm very thankful. I solved the problem with your help. Now I want to ask you guys something. Is there a way that I could go to the bootloader main screen (where all the games titles are) without pressing the reset button on the pcb?

Thanks,

Rafael David Pérez
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

You mean while in a game? If so, it's possible for games compiled with latest kernel since they include a reset keypad combination: BTN_START+BTN_SELECT+BTN_Y+BTN_B. Before that you need to have set the bootloader to menu-first mode.

-Uze
RafaelDPerez

Post by RafaelDPerez »

Hi Uze,

How do I know wich games have the latest Kernel?

Rafael David Pérez
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

My comment related specifically to compiled games (.HEX and .UZE). I've added the reset code at some point in time and early games and demos may not have it. Most games should work fine though. If you find one that does not support the reset sequence, try to find the sources and recompile with the latest kernel.

-Uze
RafaelDPerez

Post by RafaelDPerez »

Perfect! Thanks, I'll check later!
RafaelDPerez

Post by RafaelDPerez »

Hi everyone,

Could someone please upload pacman .UZE file compiled with the latest kernel? I'd really appreciate it.

Rafael David Pérez
renix

Post by renix »

Hello, My name is René Viancos (renix) and I'm a new with uzebox, I love it.

I have bought 5 PCBs a months ago and now I'm going to assemble it...

I have founded a retro gaming site in Chile (spanish spoken/written) called Retronia, please visit it (http://www.retronia.cl), here is my build log of Uzebox http://retronia.cl/foro/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1372
image.jpg
image.jpg (16.17 KiB) Viewed 16681 times

Regards from Chile

Renix
Last edited by renix on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redcom001

Post by redcom001 »

I just put the kit together yesterday, but I keep getting the "sd init fail" screen after I made sure all the SD card socket leads were soldered correctly. I used the SD card preloaded with all the games. What can I do to fix this? You said that there could be a problem with the card, but weren't clear about what those problems are and how to fix them. I know next to nothing about C at the moment, and I'd rather not have to take out my arduino every time I want to play another game. If you could get back to me that'd be awesome.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hello, My name is René Viancos (renix) and I'm a new with uzebox, I love it.

I have bought 5 PCBs a months ago and now I'm going to assemble it...

I have founded a retro gaming site in Chile (spanish spoken/written) called Retronia, please visit it (http://www.retronia.cl), here is my build log of Uzebox http://retronia.cl/foro/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1372
Welcome to the Uzebox community and thank for sharing the links, that a nice retro site!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

redcom001 wrote:I just put the kit together yesterday, but I keep getting the "sd init fail" screen after I made sure all the SD card socket leads were soldered correctly. I used the SD card preloaded with all the games. What can I do to fix this? You said that there could be a problem with the card, but weren't clear about what those problems are and how to fix them. I know next to nothing about C at the moment, and I'd rather not have to take out my arduino every time I want to play another game. If you could get back to me that'd be awesome.
Hi! The SD init fail can be caused by the following:
  • The SD card is faulty homehow. I program and test those individually so they should work. Test it on your computer if you see the files. If you have another SD card less than 2G formatted in FAT16, test it out to be 100% sure.
  • Soldering problems with the SD card socket or the voltage divider resistors. You'll have to get your multimeter and the schematic (rev F2) and check the continuity from the ATMEGA pins to the sd card socket pins. Check the 3.3v voltage section too. Check for shorts between the lines too.
  • A problem with the PCB. These should be extremely rare as I ask the fab to have them electrically tested. But a Uzeboxer recently reported the first know case.