Another source for NES connectors

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Oldbitcollector

Another source for NES connectors

Post by Oldbitcollector »

We use NES connectors for our Propeller projects, and have convinced
Parallax to carry them as stock items. They have plenty in stock
and thought you guys would appreciate the info.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Component ... fault.aspx

Uzebox is a neat project! You guys really rival the Hydra stuff. :)

OBC
havok1919

Re: Another source for NES connectors

Post by havok1919 »

Excellent!

Thanks for the note, OBC! I'll order up a couple right now to make sure they're compatible with the mechanical spacing on the Gamer Baseboard.

Also, I bought a metric assload of SNES multitaps which I've been pulling connectors from, so the Gamer Baseboards will have those as "standard". I can make it available as a kit as well (SMT done, through-hole not) without connectors for anyone that wants to use the NES ones instead.

-Clay
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

:shock: I can't believe it! We searched the world and it was just there all the time! With that, NES will finally be a viable option for controllers.

We decided to go with SNES because the market availability of its connector *and* new controllers too. Oh, and a few more buttons, really helps at tetris! :D

Many thanks for the info,

Uze
ladyada

Post by ladyada »

man i dont know, have they really been there all this time? :?
i just bought 6 and before then the stock was 996 and havoc says he got some so like, it seems not-too-unlikely that a stock of 1000 was just added
good timing tho :)

does anyone know how thick the pins are on NES controller sockets? Obviously the pinspacing should be .15 x .15 but its hard to tell if the pins are 30mil or 50mil or what diameter
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

ladyada wrote:man i dont know, have they really been there all this time? :?
i just bought 6 and before then the stock was 996 and havoc says he got some so like, it seems not-too-unlikely that a stock of 1000 was just added
good timing tho :)

does anyone know how thick the pins are on NES controller sockets? Obviously the pinspacing should be .15 x .15 but its hard to tell if the pins are 30mil or 50mil or what diameter
I haven't ordered the NES connectors yet-- got distracted with other crap today. :-P

The original through-hole connectors Nintendo used on the 4-play and the like were 50 mil.

-Clay
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hmmmm, why do we still bother with NES connectors anymore, didn't we agree that SNES where the way to go?

Uze
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

uze6666 wrote:Hmmmm, why do we still bother with NES connectors anymore, didn't we agree that SNES where the way to go?
Well, you've got a point there. ;-) But we spent so much effort trying to track them down... :lol:

On my little baseboard I didn't really have a PCB size win by leaving them off. *shrug* (I'd need to find a new home for my power/reset/LED parts that are centered on the PCB if I made it any smaller...) Back in the day I made serial modems that always had the "connectors in the back, power switch in the front corner" so I wanted to be a little different this time. ;-)

I agree though-- it's nice to be non-Hydra/non-Xgamestation like.

-Clay
ladyada

Post by ladyada »

uze6666 wrote:Hmmmm, why do we still bother with NES connectors anymore, didn't we agree that SNES where the way to go?

Uze
its a matter of options. since nes and snes are firmware compatible its good to have both options. often times people will want to use controllers they already have. or they just like the retroness. its basically free to have PCBs with extra pads but expensive to add later (every PCB run has a 'tooling fee' :( )
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

its basically free to have PCBs with extra pads but expensive to add later
Yeah I agree on that.

What I meant was more about peoples making games and sharing them. Personally, I don't want to limit myself to two button anymore ;). So there I release my next megatris game with 4 buttons support, what happens to the poor guy with a NES board? Well it will probably suck for him. That or games are made to support both (that sucks for developers) or worst (and that's my fear) everybody will go for the lower denominator and don't care about all the extra possibilities of the SNES controllers because they want there games to be seen. So all that work for nothing then?

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents! :)

Cheers,

Uze