I got some PIC-chips and I dont know what to do with them..

Share unrelated electronics stuff, ideas, rants, etc!
Nikiz

I got some PIC-chips and I dont know what to do with them..

Post by Nikiz »

I got three PIC16C58B-chips for free and I dont know what to do with them. :D So, tell me what I can do with those. :)
Some info of the controller:
Pins: 18
EPROM/ROM: 2Kb :?
RAM: 73b :shock:
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: I got some PIC-chips and I dont know what to do with them..

Post by uze6666 »

PICs??? Sacrilege, this is an AVR site here!! ;) 73b of RAM does that include the register file? Man what can do with this...flash LEDs?

-Uze
Nikiz

Post by Nikiz »

uze6666 wrote:PICs??? Sacrilege, this is an AVR site here!! ;) 73b of RAM does that include the register file? Man what can do with this...flash LEDs?

-Uze
So.. those may go to trash. :D I just found those from school, when I was searching for some 4011 CMOS-chips for my project on technical lessons and I found these PIC-things and took home.. :D
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Simple(no score board) black and white version of pong? Seems almost possible, a lot of work+some hardware though :|
scuzz

Post by scuzz »

Awwwwww (I'm totally aware that these are long gone, I just noticed the topic and thought I would post).

I'm a complete PIC junkie :mrgreen: . The 16C series is great for a lot of stuff! Storing complex information? Not so much!

The important thing with a PIC like that is that you'll be coding it in assembly if you want to do anything useful with it. You'll find that a lot of applications don't really need more than a few bytes of RAM. I used a pic16C to build a translation layer between a brushless motor controller and an NXT motor output. Total number of non-register variables? Six!

I also had a 16F819 (which is admittedly a more powerful micro) controlling a little pathfinding robot which used two IR reflectance sensors to find a line plus two tiny vibration motors on brushes to move.
line following robot!
line following robot!
linefollower_scaled.jpg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
And I also had a 16F88 which had a complex program to monitor a series of different inputs: dual-axis accelerometer, thermistor (resistor divider), passive infrared sensor, and a GPS. Then it used a zigbee mesh networked with a bunch of similar nodes to build a pretty handy little paranoia network :P . This project never got much further than a proof of concept, but hey, it was completely capable! And because it was a PIC it was super-low power (this was key).

To be fair when I don't have a bajillion years to code and debug it's a poor choice, but you'll be hard pressed to find something lower-power or more cycle precise :D

That being said I have yet to travel to the dark side of Atmel niceness and C environments which aren't hard to setup in Linux. Someday in the near future I will be learning ATMega C and assembly as I wade knee-deep into the Uzebox kernel, but for today: I like PICs!

</rant>
Nikiz

Post by Nikiz »

Well, I made an "ghost-phone" to scary my family and friends. :D It is an old phone that have that wheel-thing to choose numbers. I put my old 128Mb MP3-player in and made it play loop some strange voices. If you answer the phone, you will hear the voices. And I made an remote control to make the phone ring. Phone will stop ringing when you answer. :) It is funny to see how my friends react for that. :D