PCB or stripboard layout

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
loydmilligan

PCB or stripboard layout

Post by loydmilligan »

congrats on this awesome project. Anyway, I was wondering if you have any plans for a professional pcb (or complete kit) for this project. If not do you have any board files? I am sort of beginner electronic hobbyist and have never made a project form a schematic alone, although I am sure I could figure it out eventually. Anyway, if you have any plans to manufacture any pcbs or have a stripboard layout let me know, otherwise i will start working on deciphering the schematic.

anyone else?
aphixe

Re: PCB or stripboard layout

Post by aphixe »

I'm new to this as well, I dont think he used a pcb layout.. if u look at pic on homepage. the bottem is all connected with wires not leads. then again I might be wrong, cuz I dont really know much about electronics. other then how to put pc's together
CompMan

Post by CompMan »

Your correct he did not use a PCB. He wire wrapped the whole thing. That's why you can look at the pictures and see all of the wires connecting everything. I would recommend learning to read a schematic. Once you learn to read them you will be prepared for more cool projects that require reading of schematics. If you still have trouble I can try to make a Veroboard/stripboard layout to help you.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hi Loyd,

Unfortunately, there is no PCB right now. However it is for sure in my plan to have one done sometime. As I'm not expert in PCBs, I'm looking for some with expertise to provide advices or, even better, a design. If there's enough demand, perhaps I will have a batch produced.

In the meantime, dig into the schematic and ask any question you may have. Quite frankly, the hardware is not very complex (the software is something else!). The 'toughest' part was to design the video DAC. And even for that, its nothing more than 3 R-2R resistors ladders. I used Electronic Workbench's simulator to tweak the required values.

Best regards,

Uze
loydmilligan

Post by loydmilligan »

Cool, thanks for the reply,just ordered all the parts. Will probably build it on a stripboard. Will post any problems I run into.
antibyte

Post by antibyte »

Im thinkig of designing a PCB if i find some time.
I am just not sure if SMD or conventional.
This could get down to the size of a credit card if done
in SMD :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I don't know for others, but I favor non-SMT to make it as easy as possible to assemble for hobbyist of all levels. In fact, that was one of the goal of the project. That said, nothing prevent us to have two PCB versions...
gameofyou

Post by gameofyou »

Uze,

This is a great project. I would be able to possibly create a pcb for this project, if you want. It should definately use all through-hole components, so that any hobbyist could build it. If you want, you can contact me through my website: http://www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

My guess is that the pcbs (two-layer) would cost approximately $5 - $6 each. I definately think this would be worth it. It would make it much easier for people to build, and also would give much better signal quality.

-Kent
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Kent, That's great news! I have some other optional features to complete like SD-card and Ethernet interfaces that the PCB should account for.

Nevertheless, I will contact you for sure as soon as it's done. Thanks a lot for your interest. The project is really taking shape now!

Btw: 5-6$ seems dirt cheap! Does it have green mask and legend?
Monger

Post by Monger »

I had a quick go at designing a PCB tonight, there are still many problems with this first pass (incorrect component labelling, plugs, connectors and sizes) but it gives a rough idea of what should be possible. Looks like it's going to be possible to make a single sided PCB with no jumpers in about 4 x 2.5 inches:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22977978@N03/2803604766/

I gotta wait for components to be shipped to my backwater part of the world before I can build and test this, but if it works then I'll post the details here.