Official parts list

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
antibyte

Re: Official parts list

Post by antibyte »

You can build a programmer with only 4 resistors, a parallel port plug and a cable.

http://www.scienceprog.com/simplest-128 ... rogrammer/

i used one like this for a while and it worked well.
CompMan

Post by CompMan »

antibyte wrote:You can build a programmer with only 4 resistors, a parallel port plug and a cable.

http://www.scienceprog.com/simplest-128 ... rogrammer/

i used one like this for a while and it worked well.
I agree this works well but you if you don't have a parallel port it doesn't work.

Compman
jack

Post by jack »

Hello,
I have ordered and received the parts, but I did not get the wire rap socket for the ad725's regular socket adapter. I see in the photo's on the homepage that the original uzebox has it, so I was wondering if you knew which digikey part it was? Also, is there any way the nes controller sockets can fit in wire rap sockets or even uniformly in the board without cutting something? Thanks. I am excited to get this together.

-Jack
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hi Jack,

There's no direct SMT to wire-wrap adapter for the AD725, sorry if that was not clear. You need to solder the AD725 to a A324-ND (digikey SOIC-to-DIP adapter) and then plug it into a DIP16 wire-wrap socket(AE10048-ND) for wire-wrap assembly. No other choices really.

Just in case it's not 100% clear, here's how it's assembled.
ad725.gif
ad725.gif (10.66 KiB) Viewed 8920 times
As you found out, the NES compatible PH sockets (455-1709-ND) don't have a protoboard standard pinout. I used a Dremel to groove a stripe in order to fit it in (No big deal, but man, you need that tool if you're a serious hacker! ;)). After, you'll need to solder the wire-wrap wires going to the destination pins.
nes_connection.gif
nes_connection.gif (42.15 KiB) Viewed 8912 times
I didn't mentioned it so far, but 5 min epoxy is your friend! For rock solid connections, any connectors requiring soldering should be fixed to the board with it! :D

Cheers, and let us know how it went!

Uze
jack

Post by jack »

Thank you for your well-illustrated response. My two by eight column socket was too narrow, so I cut the connection between the columns and attached them to the feet to the chip. I ordered more sockets, because I want a second 40 pin socket to connect the resistors. The sockets are back ordered, and I imagine that is an indicator of the appeal of this system. Thank you again for your timely response and I will update when I get further.
-Jack
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hi Jack,

Digikey has other sockets models in stock (mill-max, 2-3$ more expensive):
ED4640-ND :40 pins
ED4320-ND: 20 pins

Uze
kscharf

Post by kscharf »

I may order the parts from Mouser, no minimum requirement there.
I just went to Analog's web site and placed an order for samples of the AD723 and AD725 parts.
Analog is very good at sample requests if you don't over do it.

Mouser has the crystal in cylinder parts (citizen) as well as 5v oscillators.
I'm thinking of maybe using the oscillator and driving the processor with an
external oscillator. This might require a change in the fuse settings, but
also might make the overclocking easier. I will also look for a 40 pin dip
heatsink to glue to the chip.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I'm thinking of maybe using the oscillator and driving the processor with an
external oscillator. This might require a change in the fuse settings, but
also might make the overclocking easier.
What do you mean by that? You have no choice than driving the mcu with the external oscillator...

Uze
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

kscharf wrote:I will also look for a 40 pin dip heatsink to glue to the chip.
I don't think you need to worry about that unless you just like the looks of it. ;-)

(Extrapolating the current graphs out to ~28MHz it might be drawing like ~23ish mA at that speed. If we call it 50mA to add some margin of error and cover current sourcing on the pins we're talking about 1/4W-- probably less). If it even feels 'warm' to the touch there's probably something wrong. ;-)

-Clay
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I don't think you need to worry about that unless you just like the looks of it. ;-)
Hahaha, good one. Uzebox modder/overcloker have all their rights to put Zalman heat sinks if they want! :lol: Now we just need those blue neons in the case... ;)
If it even feels 'warm' to the touch there's probably something wrong. ;-)
And you're damn right! Mine is even colder than a good ol' 8088 back in the days! If anything else, you shut off power!!!

Uze