un1b0x - 2020 EUzebox BOM

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
danboid

un1b0x - 2020 EUzebox BOM

Post by danboid »

It took me a good few hours but I think I have now ordered all the components required to make my own EUzebox, my specific build of which must be called the un1b0x. As Head Horncho of the Unicorn Foundation, I don't really have a choice!

I haven't started building it yet but I have attached a BOM spreadsheet to log every bit of kit I purchased to put this together so that may already be useful to someone else looking to build a Uzebox in 2020, or at least it should be useful after I've got it working and I know its correct and complete. I will update this thread and the BOM as I make progress. I'm hoping people will chip in with useful suggestions.

Before I bought any components, I presumed the SNES controller ports would be the hardest or most expensive bit to source but, for me in the UK at least, it was actually the SCART connector(s) that proved the most difficult to get. I couldn't find anyone selling them in the UK so I've ended up paying £12 postage to buy them from Mouser. Due to this I bought 4 SCART connectors to make the postage more worthwhile.

My BOM is priced for making 2X UBs. I have so little faith in my non-existent soldering skills I thought it best to buy enough to make 2 but if you're only building one you can half the component quantities and total.

Note that this BOM may currently list a few components used by the Uzebox but not the Euzebox. I intend to tidy it up after finishing the project.

Unibox-BOM-0.9.3.ods
(22.25 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
Last edited by danboid on Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Artcfox

Re: Unibox

Post by Artcfox »

Cool. I don't think I have anything that can accept RGB input, but I already have 11 Uzeboxes so I guess I don't need to build any more, lol.
danboid

Post by danboid »

11 Uzeboxes!? That must be a record!

I now have all the parts I need except the SNES controller ports and the SCART connector. I'm also still waiting for my multimeter to arrive. I should have all the parts by Wednesday.

The narrowest wire my local hardware store sells is 1.5mm. Do you think that will be a bit too chunky for wiring the UB or should it suffice?
danboid

Post by danboid »

As I said, I've got a few days before I will have all the components to build a full UB but before then could I perhaps piece together just enough of the UB so that I can at least flash the chip, if not boot. Is that an option?

I'd have to install the DIP, the MCU, the 6-pin header and what other components would have to be in place to flash the AVR? Power?
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Unfortunately you will need to add quite some components to be access it by the programmer I think!

Oscillator with the two 22pf caps, the 5V power supply and the related components, and the 6 pin header I think what are necessary for a start. Though still probably soldering in the DIP socket would be the most substantial item!

But maybe the DIP socket is also the easiest to start with as it can sit stable for the work, to get a feel of it. Hope it won't be too difficult, in my case, not touching equipment for almost a decade, once I got the tool, I could get the hang of it fairly fast, watching a few tutorials first to get the idea, what everything is, how the techniques should be applied. And then build an Uzebox alike thing on a perfboard.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks Jubatien!

I will install those components first then and see if it is enough to flash the chip. I knew I would have to do the DIP socket and the header at bare minimum but was unsure what else would be required.

What gauge wiring do people tend to use on these things? In the UK its measured in square mm and the wire I have is 1.5 sqmm. Do you think I'll need thinner wire to stop it becoming a jungle?

I thought I had a suitable power supply to use with it but seems not so I need to fetch one of those now too. Any recommendations for PSU?

EDIT

Actually I have a PIFCO ELA1133 5V 600mA switching PSU with suitable barrel connector that may do the trick but I'd still like to hear peoples recommendations for the PSU.

I now have all the components required except for the SCART connector!
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

danboid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:44 amWhat gauge wiring do people tend to use on these things? In the UK its measured in square mm and the wire I have is 1.5 sqmm. Do you think I'll need thinner wire to stop it becoming a jungle?
I actually used the snipped off leads of the resistors & caps to wire mine on the perfboard! :D Not a single extra wire!
danboid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:44 amI thought I had a suitable power supply to use with it but seems not so I need to fetch one of those now too. Any recommendations for PSU?
You might have an MC7805CT or similar part there, the 796-8060 items seem to be one of those. It is a voltage regulator which gives the 5V output which the AVR needs, the input is 7 - 18 volts. You might also have a diode network before that to resolve polarity (a bridge rectifier), though by the parts list, I don't quite see it, check the circuit you are building for it. If it is in place in some form, then just about any PSU does which gave you something between 7 - 18 volts and the plug fits into the jack!
danboid

Post by danboid »

I have bought 5 of these voltage regulators:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linear-v ... s/7968060/

It seems I got the last 5 as they're currently out of stock.

because the original part listed in the UB BOM is no longer available from DigiKey. As you say, it needs a min of 7.5V input , which is something I hadn't noticed before you highlighted that now. I should probably look for a 5V replacement but it sounds like I can get away using this regulator if I don't mind the extra power draw, at least temporarily?

If anyone knows of a better component that is available and doesn't require that I buy 40+ of them then please let me know!
danboid

Post by danboid »

I have updated the BOM spreadsheet to include the wire, a wire stripper and to note my dodgy choice of replacement voltage regulator as well as tidying a few other minor bits up.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Pretty much everything except the SCART connectors
IMG_20200704_144234.jpg
IMG_20200704_144234.jpg (227.47 KiB) Viewed 12152 times