The quest to a portable Uzebox - update!

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: The quest to a portable Uzebox - update!

Post by uze6666 »

Here's a WIP of the assembly guide. So far include the minimum info to succesfully build one and avoid pitfalls: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16h_ ... KZi5w/edit
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

For those that ordered units..the assembly line has started. The first baby is out of the oven. Nicksen will be the proud owner of unit SN#2 (bottom one). :) Fighting a bit with my 3dprinter with the semi-transparent material to get some satisfactory results. Hopefully it will be ready to ship next week. Will posts some pics and video so you guys can see how it looks.
Attachments
20190430_232226.jpg
20190430_232226.jpg (200.01 KiB) Viewed 15034 times
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

It's finally happening guys and gals! Portables! I'm excited!
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Wow, sweet! :) I will definitely also like the showoff value of the portable, that it is easy to just carry around, no more praying for a suitable television or the proper socket on it!
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Damn, that looks sweet! Being able to show off the Uzebox to anyone anywhere, oh man...
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

First unit out of the line! Printed in semi-transparent PLA. Don't worry I'll post more pics shortly.
assy1.jpg
assy1.jpg (105.56 KiB) Viewed 14899 times
That said, Artcfox requested a color scheme that I did not plan initialy but that actually looks pretty damn good: Red (top) and Black (bottom). I went into the locker and actually find out that I still have a bunch of that cool red PLA I used for the original Uzebox enclosures (made by a British fab named Faberdashery). And I must admit it really looks awesome. For you guys that ordered units, if you like that scheme, send me a PM and I will be glad to make it for you (but only for one unit per person due to limited material).
portable_red.jpg
portable_red.jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 14899 times
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

I'm starting to suffer from serious FOMO right now. I've ordered all the parts a while back and hopefully it will start trickling in soon. At the moment I've got 10 PCBS, two batteries and 4 resistors :D I'm a bit nervous of all the individual orders I had to make from Ali Express. None have arrived yet. If I see no movement on this over the next 30 days, I might ping you Uze for a couple of assembled models. Also, have you managed to try out Tank Fu networking on two of these? I'm dying to know if it works anywhere else apart from my two Uzeboxes.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Woah! That looks absolutely beautiful! :D I am super psyched.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

L4rry wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:04 pm I'm starting to suffer from serious FOMO right now. I've ordered all the parts a while back and hopefully it will start trickling in soon. At the moment I've got 10 PCBS, two batteries and 4 resistors :D I'm a bit nervous of all the individual orders I had to make from Ali Express. None have arrived yet. If I see no movement on this over the next 30 days, I might ping you Uze for a couple of assembled models. Also, have you managed to try out Tank Fu networking on two of these? I'm dying to know if it works anywhere else apart from my two Uzeboxes.
I received a couple batteries from Adaruit and noticed the dimensions changed a bit and don't fit the actual case design. Anyhow, let me know the size of yours and I'll upload the updated models. And the latest design also removed the indentation for the D-Pad so it can be printed without support. As for Aliexpress, I would not be too worried, I've ordered almost a hundred time in the past years from almost as many providers and received *every single package*. Some took up to 3 months, but they arrived. :)

Edit: Sorry didn't have time to try tank-fu wifi yet.

Edit 2: Btw, I didn't totally gave up on the lettering thing. Even thought the silkscreen was a failure and pad printing is just to expensive, I'm looking into vinyl decals. Some websites offer very low volume for a pretty decent price so that may be the way to go. So you guys can still receive your units and later I can just send you the decal sheet to apply on your consoles. 8-)

Edit 3: Looking back in this thread, we owe Lee the red theme Uzebox:
Ah crap, I'm going to feel like a huge nerd..again

I was wondering what this thing would look like in black and red,
And obviously that was an awesome suggestion. So much so that I will call this theme the D3thAdd3r Edition! :mrgreen:
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

It is exciting to see this come to life, well done! I have not been able to keep up with the forums for a while, but there is some amazing thought and development going at all times, which continues to interest me as the platform matures.

The black and red theme l would most definitely put a stamp of approval on! 8-)