Game ideas and inspiration

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Kilo

Game ideas and inspiration

Post by Kilo »

If someone doesn't know which game to develop, I have some of these 240 in 1 game consoles where are many simple games on it. Puzzles, shooter and so on.
It would be easy to clone them. I will take a look what I can do next.

Btw: what I really miss is Operation Wolf. The gameplay, the music, the feeling. Anybody here for this project? 😂😊
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
D3thAdd3r

Re: Game ideas and inspiration

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Operation Wolf was a unique feeling game. My guess is that a bitmap SPI Ram mode would work. The only issue would be drawing speed. Otherwise one of Jubatian's crazy high sprite modes could probably do it faster, though it really is a huge amount of sprites. I would be interested in a light gun setup even if only for CRTs, but a mouse version could be compeling and easier to implement.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

OpWolf sounds like a perfect use case for the megasprite (ROMBlit) mode.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

D3thAdd3r wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:17 pmOperation Wolf was a unique feeling game. My guess is that a bitmap SPI Ram mode would work. The only issue would be drawing speed. Otherwise one of Jubatian's crazy high sprite modes could probably do it faster, though it really is a huge amount of sprites. I would be interested in a light gun setup even if only for CRTs, but a mouse version could be compeling and easier to implement.
I think my current square kernel could get the closest to realizing a similar game. The amount of sprites needed is crazy high, 85 RAM tiles may be just sufficient to do something okay at this. There would be the option to go for 2bpp (low color count) to get more RAM tiles, but it is not really possible to squeeze more blitting through the CPU. So my best bet as of now would be the new square kernel at 200x160 to give plenty of time for blitting (and less surface to cover up). Of course Mode 74 and Mode 748 also have SPI RAM sourced sprites, but for the square kernel I could significantly improve the performance, and you won't get 85 RAM tiles either in those.