UCC2018 -- Uzebox 10th anniversary edition

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.

Would you participate in a UCC2018 game coding competition?

Poll ended at Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Yes
62%
No
No votes
Maybe
23%
No but I'd like to be a judge
15%

Total votes: 13

uze6666
Site Admin

UCC2018 -- Uzebox 10th anniversary edition

Post by uze6666 »

As you may or may not know, the Uzebox was originally launched in August 2008. Yes it's been 10 years already! Things have change a lot since then. Originally, it was only a wirewrap prototype, it had only one game (Megatris), no SD card interface, no game loader and no emulator. A community quickly built around it and made several pretty awesome hardware improvements, games and tools that brought it to where it is today. It was an awesome journey that is still going strong.

Based on suggestions from board members, I want to see the community's interest for a UCC2018 or perhaps some sort of prizes giveaway for the occasion. I attached a poll, let me know what you guys think and feel free to comment and share prize ideas.

Cheers!! :mrgreen:

Uze
nicksen782

Re: UCC2018 -- Uzebox 10th anniversary edition

Post by nicksen782 »

I voted "YES".

As I recall, the competition provides for lots of time to finish a game entry. I actually have several prototypes and this would be a great push for me to finish one of them.

As for prizes, I've always been interested in an Uzebox portable. And t-shirts are always good. I still have mine.

I do have an important suggestion though. Since SPIRAM is now an official thing we should ensure that getting an SPIRAM module is easy.

Go UCC2018!
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I voted to be a judge in this one (I will also contribute some prize material I guess). Not that I don't have any idea for a game which could be completed in this year (I have something on my mind with Mode 40 or 42), just that this time I feel like I could fill in that role better.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

I voted yes! I generally avoid competitive coding, but I need a bit of incentive to get started on my beat 'em up, so why not? :)

I'll even put up an assembled Uzebox JAMMA as a prize if there is interest. Although, right now, it's a punishment, because I can't get the thing to work but I'm getting there slowly :mrgreen:

@Jubatian better not be coding Flight of Another Dragon because we'll all be fighting for second place then :lol:
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

It's only February and I already feel this year will be tight on time for me...but 10th anniversary and having this thriving community is a big deal. I am a maybe for entering a game, though if I do it will be a racing game. Otherwise I *might* be able to finish what is now called KUzebox 1284 based on an overvolted 1284 and different resistors, in which case I would sponser as many as I could build. Either way, I will definitely commit to being a sponsor in some way if it happens.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Well, if there's at least 10 interested participans and Lee enters...I will have no choice to join in! :P I didn't do a game in years or even code at all in a while so I miss that. Don't know yet what game or style though...
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Well in light of that, I am a yes! I hope some more people jump on board here. If anyone has a game idea floating in their head and thinks they can at least get it to decent demo stage they should go for it. It is only a competition in so far as for fun after all, and every one who enters makes UCC happen regardless of what any particular game places.

I have only just started my racing game, and it has no code yet but will be an SPI ram only title. I have car sprites and that is about it so far. Going to try a totally original thing this time around.

@Alec I am hoping you still have interest in Castlevania. The demo was a serious tease! So many others too though, beat em ups are in short supply..really so many things not yet done.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I'll be there with bells on.

Maybe something with the RLE video mode.

Maybe something technically amazing.

No doubt also barely complete because I spend too much time dicking around optimizing the ASM code and not finishing the game :)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Nice, we are half way to a UCC then!
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

I'm working on a new game just for UCC2018. I have the title screen done, collision done, and the first enemy logic done. I have 4 more enemies, the bonus stages, music, and sound effects to go. I may release a sneak-peek once most of the game is done. I don't want to reveal something and then not finish it in a timely manor again.

Good luck everybody!