Problems on the Games and Demos list

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Jubatian

Re: Problems on the Games and Demos list

Post by Jubatian »

I made another round on the games & demos list fixing up various problems and broken stuff (and also optimized some animated GIFs, a few of those were ridiculously large, not a good thing for loading times!).

Kilo: Could you provide source & ROMs for your games? DasBoot is OK, at least the ROMs were accessible from UCC2013, but for Submarine currently only the .uze exists apparently on Nicksen's Game Changer (I couldn't find it anywhere among my Uzebox stuff).
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I did some work on the Games & Demos list again, fixing a few missing items. Could anyone help in it? Particularly the following categories:

Games without ROMs They are unplayable right now, Nicksen might have a working ROM.
Games with broken ROM link These have a link to ROMs which is broken (so they are also unplayable). Nicksen might have a working ROM.
Games without UzeRom These lack a .UZE file making it difficult to play them on the real hardware.

If you see your game in either of the lists and have access to the Wiki, please fix! Or if you have no access, tell, and try to give us the necessary files!
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Games without ROMs:
This could be found on the Online Player (usually.)

Games with broken ROM link: (Yes, I did have a copy.)
https://nicksen782.net/a_demos/Emscript ... marine.uze

Games without UzeRom These lack a .UZE file making it difficult to play them on the real hardware.
If I have (or it exist somewhere) the .hex then a .uze could be made if someone put together a game.properties for each game.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I fixed Frog Feast for .uze, .hex, and source. I fixed Alter Ego for .uze and source, but I do not have a .hex at the moment. Last time I tried to rebuild that off the source I posted a long time ago, it didn't work :? For now I will leave that in the no rom category, and I will have to figure out what is going on with the existing source(which I am sure I had dumped from my working setup, though that was through AVR Studio at the time I think).
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I fixed a bunch of broken ROM links by generating appropriate UZE files, mostly by the list assembled on Nicksen's online player topic.

The without UzeROM category now contains 4 entries. The Halloween demo and the Sprite Engine demo V2 are too large to have UZE files (larger than 60K), so those will remain as-is. The movie player is something which I never could get to work, neither in emulator nor real hardware. I didn't touch Toorum's Quest as I hope Lee would add the most appropriate ROMs for it.

The games without source is honestly a shame in my opinion. Where all those sources went? By the GPL everyone should have released their sources... (If you know about the source of any of the games there, please fix or add the links!)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Jubatian wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:53 am The games without source is honestly a shame in my opinion.
A while back I PM'ed everyone for which I found unreleased source, and I did not get anything back nor have seen the people on the forums anymore. I think what is missing is truly lost, which is indeed a shame.
Jubatian wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:53 am I fixed a bunch of broken ROM links by generating appropriate UZE files
Nice work!
Jubatian wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:53 am I didn't touch Toorum's Quest as I hope Lee would add the most appropriate ROMs for it.
Whoops I didn't even realize it. I will fix that.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Jubatian wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:53 am I fixed a bunch of broken ROM links by generating appropriate UZE files
Oh! Thanks! I'll update the Online Player soon.

... yeah, about missing sources. It is sad really. I've really benefited from reading the source of some games.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

D3thAdd3r wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:07 am Music Demo existed as a red link in the wiki as long as I can remember. If it's from 2008 it must have been not long after the music engine itself was created.

Uzebox Tactics has been teasing me for a long time though I only heard of it by the EEPROM reservation table and certainly never expected to see source code! I had some trouble building it, I think the makefile is messed up or something? I hacked this together to get it to build, it seems to work fine. I am not quite sure what I am doing in this game yet, but attached is a build for those curious.

Maybe it is worth a WIP entry even if it hasn't been touched in a long time..or do we have enough of those already?
Today I tried this game and compiled it by myself.
It is a two player strategy game. I think I've got the gameplay and how it works. Very great game idea.
Maybe I will use it to get it finished with intro, sound and so on.
If I would know how to make a good AI then you could play it as one player.
But for now it is worth to make a WIP entry.
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

PM me a binary and I'll put it up on the Online Player.

By the way, you put a couple games out recently, would you like those put up too? Just provide me the files or tell me where to get them and I'll do it.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Sure...
What exactly do you need?
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!