New Game: Bugz

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Artcfox

Re: New Game: Bugz

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote:Man, those levels are hard..or I'm getting old! I really want to get through all levels.

My two cents: Now on level 7. I like the level, but having to go through those bugs over the pit twice seem a bit too hard at this point. Perhaps having a small opening at the top that you can sneak though to get to the final big cookie would be easier. Not that practicing jumping on those bugs is too hard, but early on in the game, perhaps having to do it once would be already an accomplishment. :) Unless I'm missing some trick?...
Are you getting all the tempting cookies on the left side first, or are you charging right ahead through the bees before they desynchronize and are moving opposite each other?

The trick here is, the bees automatically respawn when you kill them, making it much easier to get back across that large pit…

(You are still in the "learning essential survival skills phase," of the game, so my advice to you would be to practice while everything is more forgiving, because the difficulty is going to start getting cranked up very soon.)

You have infinite lives, because I'm not that cruel. ;)
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

How do you compile this game? I wanted to test it with the modified Mode 3.

I tried running make in the "default" directory, with the kernel path properly altered, but it fails with an error message: "editor/levels/num_levels.inc: No such file or directory". I found a Makefile there (in "editor"), which produced a png2inc binary, running that I got a levels directory, but seemingly there are no levels in it, not even an intro without which make on the game still fails. By checking the source I don't know what to do (it includes stuff from both "data" where there is material which seem to be levels, and the empty "editor/levels" directory).
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Sorry I haven't had a chance to recompile with the new kernel yet.

You should be able to just install xcftools, and then run

Code: Select all

./scratch
from the default directory. You may want to uncommented the line where it runs uzem fullscreen at the end of the scratch file. (I had a very quick change-test-change loop.)
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

OK, I tested it, after installing xcftools it does indeed work! (You should include a short readme along with the project describing at least the build process, I tried using make as usual, it would be useful :) ). I compiled it with the modified kernel, and seems like the game has no problem with it. So another successful test.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Awesome!
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

So last night we had a pretty big party, and my wife suggested to fire up the Uzebox and see if anyone wanted to try it.

I set it up in the main room, and the first to try it was my wife's cousin's son, who is 12. He played through the first three levels of Bugz while his cousin (who is 15) talked mad smack to him. I told her, "You do know this game has a versus mode, and for all the smack you've been talking, you better be able to back it up." She was like "Really!?" and so I let her play through the first three levels to get the same amount of practice, and then I set them up with P1 VS P2 mode.

Over the next hour or so, everyone in the house watched as they stomped the crap out of each other and the bugs (but mostly each other). We were supposed to spin fire outside, but nobody left, because it was so entertaining. For some reason the most important thing to them was being the one to collect the large cookie at the end of each level, to the point where nobody would get the last little cookie if they didn't think they could make it to the big one first, which after 5 minutes of not getting the cookie and taunting each other, the entire house would scream at them, "Just get the damn cookie and go to the next level you guys!!"

They fought their way through all 21 levels, and then even kept killing each other on top of the winner's trophy, until in-real-life headlocks and noogies happened. I had no idea the Uzebox would end up taking over the party like that. :-)
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Guess that was the great fun in the Commodore 64, Atari VCS, and similar machines of the 80's which most often had 2 game controllers, well suited for versus play! We had a similar experience with Tank Fu when I brought the box to a friend :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hahaha, really enjoyed your story! I can say that happened quite a few times on my side too with friends and family. Usually it was with challenging my brother on Megatris and Dr.Mario (which he's the coder) on Christmas parties. After a few drinks we would invariably fire up the Uzebox and we would play and the family would cheer up. Heck at some point, even my 65 years old mother would jump in and be quite a tough challenger (she had a Gameboy back then with Tetris and she was formidable at it)!! :lol:
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:11 amHeck at some point, even my 65 years old mother would jump in and be quite a tough challenger (she had a Gameboy back then with Tetris and she was formidable at it)!! :lol:
Haha! That is so awesome!
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I brought the box to friends again, and gave it them. Cooperative multiplayer, some rather open jump-and-run, trying to get the levels completed together. They are better at it than me, and got through several levels until I think we found a bug. Its a black background level with grey tiles where the most common element is wasps buzzing around fire tiles. On the upper left and right corners there are two cookies, each apparently can only be reached by a killing jump onto a wasp. But since the wasp doesn't reappear, it has to be done right or the level is lost. However in cooperative multiplayer the level never restarts, only the player positions reset. So they got stuck there. Anyway, it was fun until then! :)

Also we gave a go to the simpler Laser Puzzle, their thirteen years old daughter played a couple of levels of it until we had to go, that's sure a nice game! Maybe the tiles could snap in place a bit easier, she had some difficulty dragging and dropping them where she wanted to (when dropped, maybe falling onto the nearest slot could be more intuitive than ignoring the move if the release location doesn't align too well).