Problems on the Games and Demos list

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Jubatian

Re: Problems on the Games and Demos list

Post by Jubatian »

Music Demo is part of the Uzebox master repo so I added a source link. Somehow I might have overlooked it when I was fixing stuff on the games list. The source itself says it is from 2008. (Did it exist in the Wiki, or did you add it by the way?)

EDIT: Does anyone know about this game: Uzebox Tactics. I just found it by some random searching.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Music Demo existed as a red link in the wiki as long as I can remember. If it's from 2008 it must have been not long after the music engine itself was created.

Uzebox Tactics has been teasing me for a long time though I only heard of it by the EEPROM reservation table and certainly never expected to see source code! I had some trouble building it, I think the makefile is messed up or something? I hacked this together to get it to build, it seems to work fine. I am not quite sure what I am doing in this game yet, but attached is a build for those curious.

Maybe it is worth a WIP entry even if it hasn't been touched in a long time..or do we have enough of those already?
Attachments
tactics.hex
(112.13 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I have uploaded the original MusicDemo on the wiki. This one which had a couple more songs and was used for the Uzebox "Uzesynth" video.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I think during the upgrade some game files got lost.

Somebody on this forum was complaining about supposedly having many broken links on the Games & Demos page. It was baffling me since we just came from fixing up all those things there (in the winter), but sure, some of those links got broken even since then as I discovered.

http://uzebox.org/wiki/Columns
http://uzebox.org/wiki/Fireman_Rescue

By these it seems like the uzebox.org/roms path lost files, but for example Roguze is also there, and it exists. I now picked randomly about thirty games, and only these were apparently broken. However there are many without .uze files, even ones in the Uzebox master repo (such as Arkanoid) which should be trivial to add (compiling the master repo generates those .uze's).
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

They were asking about a complete list. The online emulator has a pretty complete list and includes many demos. I could zip up that directory. I'd like to make sure that the online emulator games are up to date with the wiki. In the DB I store when I added the game file and each file probably has a modified date.

Also, the online emulator can play either .hex or .uze files. I dunno about .bin. CUzeBox handles the file of course.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

CUzeBox won't load a .bin file, I didn't add such a handler (at first it seems not really possible to determine whether the binary is actually an AVR ROM file, although by analyzing the interrupt vector table it may still have some suitable "magic" values, such as the "jmp" instructions themselves).

The larger problem still isn't that we don't have the files, rather where they should be stored (since the upgrade seemingly everyone lost file upload rights to the wiki, so again I dunno where to put them). A quick skim reveals that stuff is spread around in three places: random locations in the forum, the uzebox.org/roms directory, and the wiki's own file storage (that is, stuff we have on our sites, there are also lots of external links). Of these currently we have access to the forum only. The best I think would be using the wiki, but the forum could also be fine as people usually attach games here anyway (Then a topic should be made for "out of context" roms and other material, that is things their authors don't publish as own topics or roms we are generating later for existing games which need it for some reason).
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I fixed those two links Jubatian mentionned by adding the files to the server. It's very weird that only those didn't work :? . Anyhow, the whole roms storage location is a mess I can't agree more. The ideal would be a database on uzebox.org with an interface to upload games and update them while still providing some 'perma link' to the latest version. This in turn would feed the wiki and online emulator. A simple PHP app could be made using the credentials of the forums (damn SSO on the site would be about time, but this is another story). A lot of bla bla for now, so Jubatian idea is now an option...you can now upload uze and hex file to the wiki. :P
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

As a reminder, I already actually have a database manager for this with the online player. I would be happy to share! It uses PHP and sqlite. Actually, I've been meaning to make it a separate (not directly within the same UI) from the online player. Perhaps this would be a good time to consider what we want in a database.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yes, it's true I recall you mentioned it! :oops: It's just a question of time. But if you want to move it over to uzebox.org, I can help with that by creating a MySql database instance as well as giving you the required access so you can be autonomous on the site.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

The database can be converted to MySQL or it can remain SQLite. Adding the SQLite extensions in PHP doesn't take long. Being able to easily update it would be a plus.

Please PM me and we can discuss a bit more.