New Features Incubator

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.

What feature would you most like to see first?

SD Card Interface
64%
Universal Serial Joystick Interface
15%
Ethernet Interface
18%
Wireless Joystick
4%

Total votes: 55

CompMan

Re: New Features Incubator

Post by CompMan »

I like the idea but why would you want the power button on the back?

Compman
Tinctu

Post by Tinctu »

Well I am 8bit computer fanatic...
And all my 8bit computers have power switch on back...
So it is little 8bit user deformantion :D heeh...
But it is logic.Becouse when You plug-in POWER ADAPTER you have power switch near ADAPTER plug...

Off course powerswitch can be in front as on SEGA or NEO GEO,there is little space between LEDs :D.
Hey photoshop/paintbrush my pic to front "switch version".I have no time today...
And post it here...
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

One new option that came up recently was a USB interface on the baseboard. This would allow direct programming without the need for a stk500 or ATAVRISP. Again, this would go in line with one of the main goal of the project: cheap and easy to develop for. What do you think?
CompMan

Post by CompMan »

That would be cool but I still think SD would be better.

Compman
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

I like the USB->Serial approach since it could avoid/solve a few problems for users. (ie-- no need for an ISP adapter, no need for a serial port on new PC's/Macs, no need for a separate USB->Serial dongle on the computer) We'd need a little serial bootloader, but that could be pretty simple. I like SD though too. Just wish FAT wasn't such a porker... Would love to be able to drag and drop files and pop the card in. ;-)

-Clay
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I like the USB->Serial approach
Yes, as you proposed, that would be the idea. In fact, I just received an order from Digikey. I bought a small FT232R module (768-1021-ND) to play with that. Very sharp.

And SD is still #1 CompMan! ;) Also bought some parts and SD socket to build the interface and write some code for it. I also got all the parts required for the Ethernet interface you proposed (ENC28J60/MagJack), although in that case, I mistakenly ordered the ENC28J60 SOIC version instead of the DIP. :oops:

Eh, that's should keep me busy for a while!

Uze
CompMan

Post by CompMan »

Your covering all the interfaces. I would have done the Ethernet by now but I have no money to get parts. Glade to her someone else can take it on.

Compman
CompMan

Post by CompMan »

uze6666 wrote:And SD is still #1 CompMan! ;)
True but only 16 people out of 50 members have voted. VOTE PEOPLE VOTE!!!

Compman
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Perhaps they don't' vote because they assume all of those functions will be covered anyhow... :D Just a question of time...
Your covering all the interfaces. I would have done the Ethernet by now but I have no money to get parts.
I didn't plan to work on that now, just bough the part hoping somebody else would do the dirty job ;).

Uze
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

uze6666 wrote:I didn't plan to work on that now, just bough the part hoping somebody else would do the dirty job ;).
I haven't looked at the resource requirements, but I know that there's a uIP port to AVR using the ENC28J60. Maybe just use that? Seems like a lot of the TCP/IP stuff use the Mega128, but I don't know if that's due to flash requirements or simply because it was the "uber" AVR for a long time...

-Clay