Uzebox Live Back in action

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
havok1919

Re: Uzebox Live Back in action

Post by havok1919 »

uze6666 wrote::shock: Wow, that's gonna be a heck of a board...everything and the kitchen sink! :D
Yeah, since we're low unit volume I figured it's better to just stick "everything else" on one board rather than several smaller application-specific version for now. If more people dive in it might make sense to do a "music" centric version with analog sliders on the PORTA pins, programmable filters, whatever... In the meantime the 'experimeter' board can be the do-all. ;-)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but PORTD.6 is actually used for the microSD chip select no? Why move it to PORTD.7, which is btw the sound PWM pin.
Oh, sorry, you're right. I was "off by one" looking at my schematic... That is how it's implemented, just not how I documented it up above. :oops: So yes:

PORTD.7 = PWM
PORTD.6 = chip select to uSD
PORTD.5 = (maybe second SD chip select? free "user" chip select?)
PORTD.4 = chip select to 'helper' MCU (ATTiny2313)-- provides PS/2 keyboard and Mouse ports
PORTD.3 = chip select to ENC28J60 (plus /INT connecting to PORTD.2)
I'd like to ear what others have to say, but I don't see lots of application using 2 SD cards on a 64K device ;)
Yeah. Since this could be used for 'non-gaming' apps I thought it might be useful to have an "application" card (maybe with files or whatever the app needs) and then a second card that could be removed (like for datalogging or whatever) without causing problems in the app... I think in 99% of the cases though the app would always be flash resident so a single SD or uSD would probably be plenty. I'm not married to the idea one way or the other. (If someone really wanted two SD's they could always cut a trace and run a different line to the standard SD slot... I could see doing that for an SD card 'sector copier' or other type of mastering equipment where you want a 'master' on one card and then make multiple copies to the second slot.)
For the dual audio channel what pin(s) did you think of?
I was only thinking one sound channel-- just routed to two RCA's for output. (Just so you could plug in a standard stereo RCA pair on a TV or stereo and not have to select 'mono' mode to get sound from both speakers. AKA, 'dual mono' audio. AKA, "I've got a lot of the RCA connectors so I don't mind using them".) ;-)
I think my concern is that some great ('uzebox standard') stuff works on one board, but not in the other. Sure, if folks stick to the kernel/api we can have some slack to move things around a bit with the help of the new EEPROM config stuff. In the other hand, that makes the kernel more complex (and more heavy too).
Yep, I'm with you. Don't want to break compatibility for the gaming side of things. If somebody wants to use the experimenter board to lash up a bunch of extra circuitry and make a video based Digital Read Out for a milling machine that's fine-- an not expected to run on a 'gamer' board. ;-)

-Clay
ladyada

Post by ladyada »

to pop the stack, i suggest looking at the wiznet 811mj -esque modules instead of doing a enc28j' board. these things are SPI, 5v compliant and do the entire ($*&@ing tcpip stack in hardware. this really saves a lot of codespace. and they're really cheap, about $20
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yes, W5100 + MAG JACK seems great. And probably not much more expensive than the encj28j. That would greatly reduce flash and ram usage, that's for sure. From where do we source this W5100 chip?

Also, I can't seem to find the datasheet for these modules. Anyone has a link?

Uze
pragma

Post by pragma »

uze6666 wrote:Also, I can't seem to find the datasheet for these modules. Anyone has a link?
Is this it?

http://www.elektronika.rs.ba/files_bin/ ... _V_1.0.pdf
CompMan

Post by CompMan »

uze6666 wrote:Yes, W5100 + MAG JACK seems great. And probably not much more expensive than the encj28j. That would greatly reduce flash and ram usage, that's for sure. From where do we source this W5100 chip?

Also, I can't seem to find the datasheet for these modules. Anyone has a link?

Uze
The W5100 is US $ 4.90. It can be found on the WIZnet site.
http://www.ewiznet.com/

The datasheet is http://www.i-vis.co.jp/pdf/wiznet/chip/ ... 5D.0.1.pdf.

It seems like a good little chip. Now we just need to figure out the communication!

CompMan
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

CompMan wrote: The W5100 is US $ 4.90. It can be found on the WIZnet site.
[...]
It seems like a good little chip. Now we just need to figure out the communication!
Yeah, the Wiznet parts are kinda cool. I actually have samples and daughterboard from their Circuit Cellar contest a while back.

I will warn that the IC's are about twice as expensive as the Microchip parts and they're only TQFP packages. Totally fine by me, but if we were holding out hope for any "build it yourself" type kits they'd likely want to use the module version (the 811 I think) which is over $20.

There was some sort of flap about something related to the SPI bus during the Circuit Cellar contest that I can't quite recall. I don't remember if it was specific to the modules they seeded out (they were 810's, IIRC) or the part itself, but might be wise to look into that and make sure all's well first...

-Clay
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I will warn that the IC's are about twice as expensive as the Microchip parts and they're only TQFP packages. Totally fine by me, but if we were holding out hope for any "build it yourself" type kits they'd likely want to use the module version (the 811 I think) which is over $20.
Agree. But that's the same thing as for the AD725 when you think of it. You can alway buy those SMT-to-DIP adapters boards. Some are quite cheap.

Uze
ladyada

Post by ladyada »

the 810's had an SPI pin problem that was fixed in the WIZ811MJ's and WIZ812MJ. the later ones also use .1" spacing not 2mm which is nice. they only need like 5 pins to work anyways so easy to wire up.
http://www.ewiznet.com/ has them for $16 (but shipping is expensive)
there's a 'ready to go' C library at arduino.cc
its trivial to use, ive played with them myself
anyways, if its popular, you can always trade the module for something else since the protocol can obviously be easily replicated by any ethernet/tcpip chip
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

uze6666 wrote:Agree. But that's the same thing as for the AD725 when you think of it. You can alway buy those SMT-to-DIP adapters boards. Some are quite cheap.
Yeah, I was more thinking about the 0.4mm TQFP pitch giving people fits than the availability of adapters. I can just picture trying to solder that with a $3.99 Radio Shack 30W iron without a flux pen or anything. ;-)

-Clay