New Game: Bugz

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Gosma

Re: New Game: Bugz

Post by Gosma »

I was watching the game developement in yr youtube channel pretty nice game, and it's all original, the kind of game we love! :D
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Gosma wrote:I was watching the game developement in yr youtube channel pretty nice game, and it's all original, the kind of game we love! :D
Thanks! I hope I didn't give away too many of my speed run secrets. I'm really curious if other people can find faster ways through the levels.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Thanks! I hope I didn't give away too many of my speed run secrets. I'm really curious if other people can find faster ways through the levels.
Two other possible features to add: attract mode and a hi-score board. :)
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Hey a new game - very cool! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Harty123 wrote:Hey a new game - very cool! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks!
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

Another original game for the Uzebox! I personally love platformers and it's awesome to see one released that's nice and polished like this. Seriously good work. I think it also says something that I first tested it in Firefox on my phone. It didn't run full speed like that, but the fact that I could is pretty amazing. Tried it on my desktop in uzem and it's really nice, you should definitely be proud. Any time someone creates a fully original Uzebox game it gets extra points in my book. Can't wait to test it out on hardware this weekend!
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

kivan117 wrote:Another original game for the Uzebox! I personally love platformers and it's awesome to see one released that's nice and polished like this. Seriously good work. I think it also says something that I first tested it in Firefox on my phone. It didn't run full speed like that, but the fact that I could is pretty amazing. Tried it on my desktop in uzem and it's really nice, you should definitely be proud. Any time someone creates a fully original Uzebox game it gets extra points in my book. Can't wait to test it out on hardware this weekend!
Thank you! Finally someone else who loves platformers! :D

Perhaps you will be the first person (other than myself) to complete the game. If you have two controllers and another person to play against, I would be very excited to get feedback on the P1 VS P2 mode. My wife found that she likes the versus mode even more than she likes single player mode. To show it off, I'd love to create a high quality emulator recording of it, perhaps using two keyboards plugged into the same computer to allow some elbow room while playing.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I'm making progress through the game. Yesterday I was stuck on level 5 (the one will all those grasshoppers) and found it disproportionately hard compared to the previous one. The fire pits don't help. It's a very challenging level and it would perhaps fit better later in the game when players gradually improve. At many times, I wanted to stop and skip to the next level. Anyhow I finally eat it and completed the next level much faster.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote:I'm making progress through the game. Yesterday I was stuck on level 5 (the one will all those grasshoppers) and found it disproportionately hard compared to the previous one. The fire pits don't help. It's a very challenging level and it would perhaps fit better later in the game when players gradually improve. At many times, I wanted to stop and skip to the next level. Anyhow I finally eat it and completed the next level much faster.
Cool! That's good to know.

I added the fire pits, because I found it too easy to eliminate every grasshopper simply by sitting still on the rungs of the ladder and waiting for the grasshoppers to hop up into your feet from below. Based on the feedback I've received so far about that level in particular, perhaps realizing one even has the ability to kill the bugs while remaining stationary is more of a trick than I had thought. Do you think the grasshoppers should be the only obstacle in that level? (There is also a trick that makes the fire pits much easier to avoid, but again maybe that's not as easily discoverable as I had believed. Rather than remove the fire pits, I can help guide a person into learning that trick by leaving a trail of cookies along the path that should be followed to best avoid them.)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I also found level 5 seems noticeably harder than level 6 and somewhat harder than level 7, but not necessarily needing a fix. On the subject of learning a step before it need to be exploited in more difficult situations, which always makes me think of Shigeru Miyamoto's genius designs, would a demo "attract mode" be possible with the existing flash space? They wouldn't have to beat the levels, but someone struggling thought willing to invest some time watching might learn some trick from that and think "hey, very cool!".