Bomber

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Kerby

Bomber

Post by Kerby »

Hello !
I must say, this project is my good friend, the basic idea of the program, and he did the graphic design. I'm just a little bit helped, advised and mended tips on the operation algorithm and Tile_studio.
A little game in which you control some deminers bombs. Bombs are activated in sequence, you need to have time to run until the timer has counted down to zero (the timer counts your steps). The main feature of the game - a man leaves behind traces of which can not be stepped on. Therefore, the path to the need to calculate the active bomb.
This is the first version of the game, in the B / W version of the graphics and sound effects are missing. My friend and I accept all your suggestions and additions.
Attachments
bomber_v1.04.zip
(25.44 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
CunningFellow

Re: Bomber

Post by CunningFellow »

nice and simple - I love it.

When you create the random levels - do you do any testing to make sure they are completable ?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Clean and simple! A couple comments:
  • The left most column is not visible on a real TV (at least not my monitor.
  • When you complete the level and press start, it immediately pops the window if I want to die. Insure the button is actually released before going to the next level.
  • Same comment as CunningFellow: Can all levels be solved or it's pure random?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

It's a nice little game you have in the works. Is this a totally original concept or based off an existing game? The graphic style is adequate but I would suggest adding just a little bit more, perhaps some animations and definitely a title screen to spice it up a bit. I think it would be nice to have some music and simple sound effects(just take them from other games) as a a nice addition and EEPROM high score for more replay value.

The game is unique since it is not a "perfect knowledge" game and does have hidden variables, but you get a limited amount of tips to gain linear information. It's interesting, but it is slightly frustrating when I could have chosen a path that would win if I knew the order of all the bombs(and ran out of tips, maybe you get some extra tips back after a while?). So there is a bit of luck, not usually my favorite mechanic, but it seems right for this game. At first I thought it was simply that I did not know which bomb was next that led me into unwinnable situations. I played until I got a level that absolutely convinced me it was unbeatable even if I did have full knowledge from the beginning. So I would say that's the only bug. BTW a common way to generate random levels that are guaranteed beatable is to start at a winning position(with a long twisted path set down) and move backwards placing things along the path you need to collect. Still, there would be luck unless there was unlimited tips, but it adds some incentive to play more rounds to hit that luck.

Good job so far, keep it up!
Kerby

Post by Kerby »

It is based on the game Bomber Boris author K.P.Holloway for ZX Spectrum. The initial position of the player and the location of bombs completely random.
The updated version 1.05 includes:
-Home screen with the name of the game
-The left most column is now visible (the problem was CENTER_ADJUSTMENT parameter, used Makefile of the game maze)
-START button is now a short delay before moving to the next level
-Now tip (button A) shows the number of all bombs on the screen
-Every five levels icon appears bonus - an additional three tips or bulldozer, all traces disappear on the screen
Attachments
bomber_v1.05.zip
(30.48 KiB) Downloaded 1141 times
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

Nice work. My highest score right now is 979. Love how crisp it looks in black and white. The new home screen looks nice. Would love for it to have a high scores table and some nice sound effects & music.
KramerD

Post by KramerD »

Love it great job! I like the graphic design is simple but cool.
Last edited by KramerD on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Title screen rocks good job!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I don't think this one got an official release. Is it complete?
Kerby

Post by Kerby »

Hi!
No work on the game is not finished yet. At the moment there is a working version 1.07. Major update - general optimization, the initial menu screen appears, the table records, funny font text :o .
More need to add the pause menu during the game (for an explanation of tips) and a few sound effects. I have already said, this project is my close friend and he promised to soon finish the job completely.