Ghosty Ghost

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Ghosty Ghost

Post by uze6666 »

I've just passed 1 Column..... Player level: Retarded :cry:
Then there's undoubtley a lot of retards in this world, me included. :lol: It took me perhaps 20 times before I could pass 2 and after I improved much quicker.
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

:lol: Yeah, it's got more of a learning plateau than a learning curve I'd say. Part of the charm, right? :twisted:
Personal tips:
Develop a rhythm to keep the ghost bouncing in an area that's about equal to the height of the openings, don't adjust the rhythm, just insert extra taps to go up or skip a tap to go down.
Try to fail low, staring at the bottom of the openings and playing chicken with the ground helps me. Your brain is programmed to naturally estimate the trajectory of falling objects. Use that to your advantage and dodge the ground not the ceilings.
Play on hardware. The emulator works fine, but it also has a bit of a jerkiness to it that you won't find on hardware. Makes it a bit harder when your eyes are tracking the leftward motion of something that's ever so slightly jittery.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Is the game done? I'd release it like that and add Uzenet in a V2...
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

It's effectively done for local play. I've been giving the menus some thought recently, particularly how sound is controlled and the option to select between NES and SNES controller layout, and an option to reset eeprom scores. I plan on making a few tweaks and maybe even adding some easter eggs for the second version that has online scores, but the current release is "completed."

I hereby christen it version 1.0
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

Added a new download to the main post for version 1.0. I did some minor touch ups and slimmed it down a bit by taking out the online uzenet related code and all associated menus. Also stripped out a few extra sound patches that weren't being used. The github source has been branched into local only and online branches. Master will reflect the last rock solid stable version that's not being worked on, so at the moment it's an older version with no online code.

I feel obligated to mention that the source for this game is in no way meant to be a "how you should" reference, it's just a "how I hacked this together to work" sort of reference. This game was mostly thrown together in scraps of free time and I took tons of stylistic short cuts (everything is in one file, collision detection is a really sketchy pseudo-hard coded mess) due to the way it grew out of being a quick demo and I was too lazy to actually refactor anything if it already worked.

I'll get around to actually cleaning it up properly at some point, but for now realize it's just there as a well commented example of how I did certain things like scrolling through a procedurally generated level, or even just simple stuff like controller input and displaying graphics in mode 3.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Good stuff, I'll post a new game news.
I feel obligated to mention that the source for this game is in no way meant to be a "how you should" reference, it's just a "how I hacked this together to work" sort of reference. This game was mostly thrown together in scraps of free time and I took tons of stylistic short cuts (everything is in one file, collision detection is a really sketchy pseudo-hard coded mess) due to the way it grew out of being a quick demo and I was too lazy to actually refactor anything if it already worked.
No need to feel obligated! We all do it for fun and I don't think anybody will nit pick on anything specially when the game's rock steady and well done. :)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

It's a great game, don't feel bad for a little messy source here and there. Scrolling still is not documented very well and I wont get around to attempting it for a good while. A little write up would be great, wouldn't have to be final version or anything but it could be useful to stick somewhere on the wiki. It could be organized or added together with other information later.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

For some reason when I try running your game with the uzem140 branch, it defaults to:

Code: Select all

Mouse support enabled
and I have to press '5' twice for it to accept keyboard input in the default SNES pad mode.

I noticed this when trying to make a web build of Ghosty Ghost with Emscripten, and the keyboard appeared to not work. When I tried compiling the native version and it did the same thing, I figured I'd let you know, since this is the only game that this is happening with.

Are you doing some sort of hardware detection for an SNES mouse that could be confusing the emulator?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Artcfox wrote:For some reason when I try running your game with the uzem140 branch, it defaults to:

Mouse support enabled
and I have to press '5' twice for it to accept keyboard input in the default SNES pad mode.

I noticed this when trying to make a web build of Ghosty Ghost with Emscripten, and the keyboard appeared to not work. When I tried compiling the native version and it did the same thing, I figured I'd let you know, since this is the only game that this is happening with.

Are you doing some sort of hardware detection for an SNES mouse that could be confusing the emulator?
Personally, I used this game a lot during all testing in the uzem140 branch I never had a problem on windows (at least before the last pull request).
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote:
Artcfox wrote:For some reason when I try running your game with the uzem140 branch, it defaults to:

Mouse support enabled

Personally, I used this game a lot during all testing in the uzem140 branch I never had a problem on windows (at least before the last pull request).
FWIW, I've always had this issue under Linux since the beginning of the SDL2 port. I don't know how a game can activate mouse support by itself, that's why I asked if it is doing some sort of automatic hardware detction because no other game does this (and I do see he offers a different build of Ghosty Ghost that claims to do some hardware detection for Uzenet.)

Edit: I just tested the really old SDL2 Windows build you made on Windows and it automatically enables mouse support as well, but this is the only game it does that on, so I am perplexed.