The quest to a portable Uzebox - update!

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: The quest to a portable Uzebox

Post by uze6666 »

Small update. I finally decided to buy Eagle 7 "Hobbyist version". That one allows board up to 16x10 cm so that just what I need. Back on track. :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Finally wired up the real components: the battery, step-up converters and LCD Lee and I bought, all works as expected and the current draw is ok. The secondary step-up that takes 3.7v->7.5v (for the lcd) is about 95% efficient.
Attachments
portable6.jpg
portable6.jpg (210.17 KiB) Viewed 5974 times
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

It's alive!

Looks like you already have a blue LED you could use your "light tube" trick from the case on too.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I have been doing a preliminary fitting of all parts on the pcb outline. As you can see, even with all though-hole part, there's "plenty" of free space. :P And that's with the SPI ram and esp8266 module! The top side will only have the buttons pads (the red things). All parts will be on the other side, hence the reversed labels. That's a bit of a pain to work with since you can't "flip" the board in Eagle CAD. Anyway...steadily progressing. We should have a portable unit by the end of the year if all goes well. One that can be assembled (hopefully) just as easily as the main Uzebox kit. :)
Attachments
pcb1.png
pcb1.png (49.32 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
cosam

Post by cosam »

Wow, this is looking pretty cool. I did tinker with an AVCore and one of these in-car LCD screens for a while but with batteries and all it was getting a bit too bulky to call portable. Any thoughts on two player support, like they had with the Game Boy link cables? Because the screen I was using had dual inputs, I toyed with the idea of having one unit work only as a controller and getting its video signal from the other which actually ran the game.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Hey this is really exciting!
cosam wrote:Any thoughts on two player support, like they had with the Game Boy link cables?
I don't think a dedicated link cable is necessary. When Uzenet progress gets going again it will be possible to play with someone over the internet. I think too it would be a good idea to implement a method to automatically discover and play with a machine on the same wifi and avoid the latency of the internet. Might be rare the situation arises, but still.
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

We do have an unused player 2 controller port compared to the normal Uzebox and there was that whole uzelink idea a while ago if I'm not mistaken. For me personally, using a cable is outdated but it definitely brings back memories of linking up 2 of the old brick gameboys for a pokemon battle as a kid, or later on having multiple gameboy advances all tethered up for advance wars. Obviously the Uzenet module would be the "normal" method of connecting 2 and we definitely need a local wifi only connection method for 2 player, but I think adding in an option to cable 2 together for places with no wifi isn't a bad idea and is in keeping with the feel of the console. We'd want a non-proprietary cable of course, something small that is easily obtainable, and there's no reason to make it a priority. It'd just be nice if the pcb space was left over.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Any thoughts on two player support, like they had with the Game Boy link cables? Because the screen I was using had dual inputs, I toyed with the idea of having one unit work only as a controller and getting its video signal from the other which actually ran the game.
The Uzebox market is pretty small so I don't expect anybody out there two have two portables in the same room! Currently I had considered putting P2 support via a special "multi-out" plug along audio and video. You could plug another SNES controller. In that case, naturally, you'd have to play on a tv. Uzenet module is the way to go for two players since it can support both regular and portable versions with the same code.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

uze6666 wrote:The Uzebox market is pretty small so I don't expect anybody out there two have two portables in the same room!
Ah crap, I'm going to feel like a huge nerd..again

I was wondering what this thing would look like in black and red, actually just the design go me thinking Atari today..so I pulled a classic handheld out of it's dusty box along side all the other dusty boxes insane video game collectors tend to have. I just laugh, actually a very cool machine, but this picture..probably explains what I think is so funny. The screen Alec is using is actually the same width and slightly taller and easily much better quality. I tend to think he will manage to squeeze it in a smaller case than the Lynx II :lol:
evolution_bits_versus_controller_size.jpg
evolution_bits_versus_controller_size.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
Now if only someone knew how to make a red and black rendering of Uzebox Portable ;)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

On Atari age it's said The Lynx II is 9.25" x 4.25" x 2", can you confirm? If so that's a beast! I reassure you that the Uzebox portable will be much smaller. Here's a comparision:
portable7.jpg
portable7.jpg (41.69 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Now if only someone knew how to make a red and black rendering of Uzebox Portable ;)
Allright I can try something...black case and red buttons?
portable8.jpg
portable8.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 5765 times