Uzebox enters the matrix...take two!

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Uzebox enters the matrix...take two!

Post by uze6666 »

I never let go...it just takes time!

Last time I fiddled with an Ethernet interface was with the Redpine module. Was nice, but you had this nasty NDA to sign in order to get the documentation. It also came in a castellated module, not so easy to solder after all. I checked the wiznet, but no nice and easy to use modules with all the features needed. Was about to let go when, woot, saw Adafruit had the same thinking and finally decided to make their own around the Texas Instrument CC3000 module. It's SPI based, 1.5"x1", with chip antenna or uFl connector and works with both 3v & 5v I/O, has holes for a 1x9 header and costs a mere 35$. I simply wired it directly to the Uzebox extension header and voila!

Contrary to Redpine, TI made all docs public, provides source code to the driver, examples and encourages community exchanges. So that was a no brainer, bought 2 of them and started porting the driver to the Uzebox. Was not easy, but it's progressing steadily...it can connect and memorise my access point, resolve domain names and open TCP connections to retrieve a file on belogic.com via HTTP! As you can see on the picture I also indulged myself with a nice Commodore 1702 monitor grabbed from eBay for a mere 50$, the picture quality is just amazing with the s-video input! With this monitor I now have two screens...so next step is Uzebox-to-Uzebox communication! More to come, stay tuned! :mrgreen:
Kerby

Re: Uzebox enters the matrix...take two!

Post by Kerby »

This, of course, very cool! Is scary to think what will be the next step ... But just do not understand - why?? Uzebox takes us back to a time when we were playing games on the primitive 8-bit consoles, or the simplest microcomputer! At that time there was no internet in every home :) But the idea is to squeeze the maximum out of a piece of iron to like me, I will follow the project ...
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

This is it! :ugeek:
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

COOL :D
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Kerby wrote: But just do not understand - why?? Uzebox takes us back to a time when we were playing games on the primitive 8-bit consoles, or the simplest microcomputer! At that time there was no internet in every home :)
Kerby wrote:This, of course, very cool! Is scary to think what will be the next step ... But just do not understand - why?? Uzebox takes us back to a time when we were playing games on the primitive 8-bit consoles, or the simplest microcomputer! At that time there was no internet in every home :) But the idea is to squeeze the maximum out of a piece of iron to like me, I will follow the project ...
Why? Because it can be done! :lol: It's been something wanted for a loong time, mainly for 2 players gaming via the internet. It is true that back then there was no internet, but the Famicom had such features through phone lines! For the Uzebox, you'd have to connect though a custom "Uzenet" server. It's more for the cool factor than anything else...I don't expect it to get over Xbox Live anytime soon!
forsakenrider

Post by forsakenrider »

the two players over the internet would really be cool. Im totally into that.

Wouldnt a cheap SPI Ethernet adapter from ebay be simpler? less to worry about for connecting to networks and stuff.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Wouldnt a cheap SPI Ethernet adapter from ebay be simpler? less to worry about for connecting to networks and stuff.
Are you refering to a specific model? Can you post a link? In the end it all depends on the high level protocol over the spi interface. I must admit the cc3000 is pretty heavy and complicated compared to the RedPine modules.
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

(Hey Alec!) :)

The Microchip ENC28J60 is the 'common/cheap' SPI Ethernet chip out there. A search for that on eBay will turn up several, here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENC28J60-Ethern ... 5af9449be5

The WIZnet W5100 is pretty cheap too, albeit it in Arduino 'shield' form factor for lowest cost:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Promo-Module-Sh ... 1c31259cfb

The W5500 is a little newer and may have better features, but it doesn't seem to be common on the 'cheap modules from China' front yet.

-Clay
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Heeeey Clay! Been a loong time, it's your bi-decennial visit!! ;)

Yeah that ENC28J60 is the cheapest, but I always refrained from using it since it doesn't have a TCP/IP stack, DHCP etc...and the Uzebox, well, you know...doesn't really have the ram and resources for that *and* a game. That and most here seemed to wish for some no tethered interface...