Funny/interresting hack of uzem

The Uzebox now have a fully functional emulator! Download and discuss it here.
lunatic

Funny/interresting hack of uzem

Post by lunatic »

I have hacked uzem to add visualization of the ram usage and progmem usage.

The most interesting part is seeing how much ram that is in use at all times, and what part of the progmem that is used for code and memory.

Also, some of the games, you can actually understand easily what is happening in the SRAM, since the width of the visual SRAM window is 32 bytes. So mode 3 games that is 32 tiles wide is funny to watch. I'm not sure if recorded any of those though. But my jump'n'bump clone is very visual in the sram ;P (not recorded on this video)
CunningFellow

Re: Funny/interresting hack of uzem

Post by CunningFellow »

Lunatic,

The Asteroids game has VRAM 32bytes wide and is B/W so it should actually look like a little shrunk down game in the RAM visualizer.

Are you going to commit that one soon so the rest of us can play :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Cool option :D scrolling games are interesting to watch. Be sure to commit this one too.
lunatic

Post by lunatic »

It is now committed :)

But it is committed on top of the new threads support commit.
So you first have to figure out how to compile uzem with boost threads support.

I have only compiled it on a mac, so I do not know if the Makefile flags are correct for windows.

Maybe I should add a keystroke option to enable/disable the "decay" in the visualization.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Is it possible you didn't commit some file or directory? The build complains about:

Code: Select all

avr8.h:63:28: fatal error: boost/thread.hpp: No such file or directory
lunatic

Post by lunatic »

uze6666 wrote:Is it possible you didn't commit some file or directory? The build complains about:

Code: Select all

avr8.h:63:28: fatal error: boost/thread.hpp: No such file or directory
You need to install the boost library for your operating system. Www.boost.org.

It should compile statically, so the binary version should not add any dependencies.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hum, I see. Quite frankly, I do not like much the idea of having external dependencies that people have to figure out. Right now it appears the uzem build is broken. Is it possible to include code or libraries of all os and use conditionals on the makefile? For me it is very important that it can be built easily without scouting the net for dependencies.
lunatic

Post by lunatic »

uze6666 wrote:Hum, I see. Quite frankly, I do not like much the idea of having external dependencies that people have to figure out. Right now it appears the uzem build is broken. Is it possible to include code or libraries of all os and use conditionals on the makefile? For me it is very important that it can be built easily without scouting the net for dependencies.
I didn't like it myself. But it was the most portable threads library I found. I will check how the license is, in regards of distributing binary copies of the library. We could find another threads library, or write different code in regards to different OS. Both mac and linux would work with pthreads. But windows would need windows-threading code.

I will also search again, to see if a more easily distributable library is available.

One other approach would be to use a build configure system. That would search for boost on your system, and tell you how to install it, if it is missing.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Feel free to ignore me because I don't know much about programming non ASM.

When I was reading the sales pitch for SDL, it said it did cross-platform-multi-threading.

Is there something it doesn't do native that "boost" does do that you need?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

When I was reading the sales pitch for SDL, it said it did cross-platform-multi-threading.
Good point. Indeed, I would have also believed so.