Controller

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Kilo

Re: Controller

Post by Kilo »

and why it's not working in some games?
Maybe I have to change the kernel for this games
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

What games are you having trouble with specifically? I have a pretty weird snes controller that I also had trouble with.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I have to make a list for that...
well, what I know: the games which works fine are: Donky Kong, Space Invaders,...
doesn't work: Lander, Dr. Mario, Megatris, LodeRunner, ...
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I've bought an asciipad on ebay to check that out. Very curious to see what's going on. :geek:
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Cool Alec! :)

Let us know what the problem is!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I've received my Asciipad today and I can reproduce the problem so that's a good start! As for Kilo, it works in the controller tester but not in the Gameloader. So I'll check what is going on and report my findings.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

thanks Alec...
well it's curious... it works perfect on the controller tester!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yesterday i rewrote the assembly code in the boorloader to match the C code. Still doesnt work...i'll pull out the scope to check signals.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Alright I got it. I opened the controller and it uses a custom chip by Asciiware. Seems its response time is slightly slower that the plain shift registers used in regular controllers. I just added a couple more cycles to the latch and clock pulses and it magically started to work again. :D I think some previous kernels may have had slower timings but I "optimized" it to death afterward. That would explain why some games works and some not. Anyhow, the good news is that recompiling the games against the latest kernel will fix the issue. The bad news is that games for which we don't have the sources, we can't fix. Well...I suppose someone could go patch the assembly code in the .UZE file, put I'll pass on that one. ;)

I need to do more tests and I'll commit everything.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Hey Alec,

wow...you're the greatest! :D
Ok, to patch all games would be impossible without having the source :(