Controller

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Kilo

Controller

Post by Kilo »

Hey guys,

I've got the ASCII Turbo Controller for the SNES. The pins are the same, I guess, but it doesn't work!
Anyone knows why not? Or is it impossible to take other controllers instead the normal SNES or NES pads?
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
phire

Re: Controller

Post by phire »

It's possibly taking advantage of a quirk in the way the snes polls the controller. The only 2 variables I can think of are clock speed and how often it is read.

Maybe if you opened it up and identified the chips inside, we could work out how it works. I suspect it doesn't have a microcontroller in there.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

If you use the controller tester tool, does it register someting?
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

No, I don't come in the controller tester program...
I only see the red flashing bar in the bootloader but nothing happens..
I guess there's more inside than a shift register, but also the 5 pins like the normal controller got.

I have tried some wiring but either appears only the red bar and nothing happens when I press up/down or the red bar doesn't appear!
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Ok, so you don't have any other SNES controller. I guess you don't have an ISP programmer to flash the controller tester directly?
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

wait wait... I have another SNES controller... I'll test it!
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

The controller works fine with the controller tester program :D
Only in the bootloader the controller doesn't work! I have to plug in the original one, choose a game and then take the ASCII pad.
Wow... also the turbo function works in the game.. amazing!!!!

But why it doesn't work in the bootloader????
There's no red flashing bar! :?:

edit: the controller doesn't work with every game! Only a few... Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, etc. But other games I have no chance to start the game or control it!
phire

Post by phire »

Could it be that the controller is only working with games that are expecting a snes controller?

Normal snes controllers are backwards compatible as nes controllers, the first 8 bits are read out from the shift register and the rest are safely ignored.
But this controller is expecting all 16 clocks and panicking when it doesn't see them.

I would still love to see the insides, but I guess you don't really want to open it.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Well, I opened it... there's only one chip which I couldn't identify! No results on google!

where's the different in the games between recognizing a nes or snes controller???
phire

Post by phire »

Looks like I'm wrong, the code always reads in the same number of bits for both controller types.
But I notice the bootloader's custom kernel reads in just the 12 bits containing buttons, while the main kernel reads in all 16 bits.