TV problems

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Kilo

TV problems

Post by Kilo »

Hey guys,

I've got a newer LCD tv with PAL and NTSC signal..
so, when I'm playing on the Uzebox the signal between PAL and NTSC changed randomly that there will be a black screen for a second!
Nothing bad, but it sucks! It's like the tv doesn't know which signal to use!
Is there any possibility to fix it on hardware? maybe stabilize it with capacitors or something?
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
Janka

Re: TV problems

Post by Janka »

Do you use an Uzebox or an EUzebox?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Weird issue, never heard this one before. Did you test on another tv?
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I'm using an Euzebox!

No issue on other TV's! Hm... but it's a new tv.... I can choose between the different sources. So I use SCART but the signal always changed between PAL and NTSC
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

Maybe timing issues? Maybe the new TV doesn't like the way the NTSC timing on the Uzebox works. Could be wrong though.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yeah, most probably a timing issue. If you have an old nes, snes or megadrive test then on the tv, the uzebox use the exact same timing.
Janka

Post by Janka »

uze6666 wrote:If you have an old nes, snes or megadrive test then on the tv, the uzebox use the exact same timing.
I doubt the OP has an NTSC version of these consoles.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Old consoles with NTSC used 524 lines instead of 525. That's 262.5 lines per field and for some reasons that .5 caused a lot of flickering for me. Incidentally I checked the signals with my scope with my old consoles and they all used 524 lines. I'd assume PAL is the same since it uses 625 lines. Unfortunately I don't think much can be done, it all depends on the sync decoding hardware or software. I bought some small LCDs with TV-in lately and none could sync on the Uzebox or my snes.

That said I'm wondering if the TV could be fooled by adding an extra line on one of the two fields...
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

My friends LCD has a "bouncing" problem with old video games and other devices. If it can't sync right the image will start bouncing. It can be fixed though by just removing and reinserting the video cable until the image fixes itself. I can't think of a solution other than some external circuit that could maybe mess with the sync line to sync correctly.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I will try to disconnect the video cable while running and connect it again...
That's the problem with new technologie, when the systems automatically adjust anything!