Uzebox AVCore "Gamer" Baseboard

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
havok1919

Re: Uzebox AVCore "Gamer" Baseboard

Post by havok1919 »

uze6666 wrote:Just wondering, why do you have those tall plastic headers instead of, say, low profile ones? Or even, why not just solder the AVCore right on the board? For sure we could not "upgrade" then...
"Historical reasons". ;-) I used to sell a lot of little DIP-module things (replacements for ASICs in old arcade games) and I used machined-pin headers. They were nice because you could get low profile sockets and even turned-pin sockets that mount *in* the PCB (so essentially no stack-up height). The problem is that those turned pins are pretty brittle and novices had a tendency to break them off (pry up on one end of the module and snap off the ones on the other side). A real bear to try to fix that short of replacing those pins entirely. The through-hole SIP headers are relatively indestructable, but they do have a kinda long seating depth. I just selected headers that they could fully fit in and that I could use standard keying posts to keep them from going in incorrectly. Originally I had other circuitry *under* the AVCore which was kinda handy-- zero additional footprint. I took it off this rev to get the costs lower for our reseller...

You could certainly solder it down to a PCB as well and just trim the leads. Then you only have about 0.1" mounting height on the 'botton' of the module. (That's set by the standoffs on the SIP headers-- which is convenient since it's just slightly taller than the tallest component on the board.)

I figured that people would probably want socketed more often than not if they're buying the module though. Lets you just swap modules when the '1284 comes out (or even a different MCU entirely if we ever want to do Xmega or even ARM), and you could have one AVCore with multiple baseboards if you like. (ie, use the GameCard for software/messing around, use the "experimenter" to prototype stuff, do your own as wire-wrap or stripline and just move the AVCore over, etc...)
Bundling an AVRISP in the kit could by nice, but as you said, most will already have some programmers. The others will indeed buy it from online stores that will most probably sell programmers as well. Hmmm...still, what about a "Deluxe" kit then? hehehe, endless possibilities... :)
Yeah, I can certainly see a bundle with quite literally "everything". Just need to write a book to go with it! ;-)

-Clay
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

Here's a picture of all the "stuff" in the $75 kit. (remember the $8 shipping by FedEx ground)

-Clay
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hey Clay, let me know when you are ready to ship, as I think we should do a global announcement topic for that (and seriously update the main site too!).

-Alec
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

uze6666 wrote:Hey Clay, let me know when you are ready to ship, as I think we should do a global announcement topic for that (and seriously update the main site too!).
Will do. I'm going to hand-build a panel and the GameCards this weekend which should suffice for near-term demand I think. (A few people have already PM'd me for kits just from this thread.)

-Clay
ravyne

Post by ravyne »

So what's the latest word on opening up those units for order? I've got precisely $83.00 burning a hole in my pocket, Clay, and its your fault! :lol:
loydmilligan

Post by loydmilligan »

Just received the avcore and gamer board package and it is sweet. It is hard to understand how small the avcore is without holding it in your hands. Also, the Halloween demo was included and it is impressive as well.

Thanks again Clay for quick shipment and for providing such a nice package at a cheap price. Can't wait to get cracking.
ravyne

Post by ravyne »

Wait a minute... When did these get offered for sale? I hope I didn't miss it...

Clay, are there any more available? Is there going to be another batch or do we have to wait for your reseller now?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I recall Clay mentioned that interested peoples send him a personal message to request a kit. And I'm pretty sure he has more left. :D

-Alec
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

uze6666 wrote:I recall Clay mentioned that interested peoples send him a personal message to request a kit. And I'm pretty sure he has more left. :D
Yeah, I didn't want to post a big "for sale" message-- seemed tacky. ;-)

I've got a half a dozen or so ready to go for anyone that wants 'em. Just PM me or email clay ( a t ) embeddedengineeringllc.com. Canadian stuff will go out Monday probably-- I have to figure out the "harmonizing code" or whatever it's called that customs wants so I just shipped a couple US ones so far. ;-)

The full production run has started now, so I'll be able to run the special price here for a good week or two more, but then the price has to go up to match that of the retailers that will carry the products.

-Clay
DavidEtherton

Post by DavidEtherton »

Clay, what's the power button actually supposed to do? I could have sworn it actually cycled power on the SparkFun demo that shipped with it (which I've long since flashed over). For that matter, I thought the LED's were under user control as well.

I know it can be read from software (and I emulate it now for maze demo happiness).

-Dave