[Completed] Video Poker

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Roukan

Re: WIP: Video Poker

Post by Roukan »

Hi All

The game is now complete (no longer WIP/BETA), and hopefully no major gremlins in there :?

I wasn't sure how to upload/link it on the WIKI page (scared of screwing something up :oops: ), so I have uploaded it here for now.

Perhaps some kind person could enlighten me and how to do this, as well as moving it from the WIP section to the MAIN section in the list of games.

NB: *** I have not yet tested this on the actual hardware / Only under Uzem Emulator (Can't locate my SD Card reader) ***

Cheers

Roukan / Jim

VideoPoker.hex
Video Poker release candidate
(118.82 KiB) Downloaded 1222 times
VideoPoker.uze
UZE file for SD Card/Game Loader
(42.74 KiB) Downloaded 1443 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Great! I'll give it a spin tonight and post a news event. Usually, in the wiki, we link to the forum post in which you attached the hex/uze (to avoid duplication). I'm thinking of installing some new app to manage/centralize archiving of roms. If anybody has suggestions on open source toolsfor that (avail on goddady) let me know.
Roukan

Post by Roukan »

uze6666 wrote:Great! I'll give it a spin tonight and post a news event. Usually, in the wiki, we link to the forum post in which you attached the hex/uze (to avoid duplication). I'm thinking of installing some new app to manage/centralize archiving of roms. If anybody has suggestions on open source tools for that (avail on goddady) let me know.
Thanks for the heads up Uze - I've linked the two files in my previous post on the WIKI.

As this was my very first attempt at an Uzebox game it's very basic in game play and what it offers, it's likely most people would try it once and never play it again.

And that's fine by me, as I chose something simple to cut my teeth on, especially seeing as two weeks ago the only "C" programming I probably ever did was ye olde "Hello World" - lol.

I'd like to add that from start to finish the whole process has been very enjoyable and not in the least bit painful in any area, mainly attributed to all the great Tools / WIKI Info / Forum feedback and so on.

Might I also say a big thanks to your good self / and all others involved for bringing the Uzebox to life, I've been looking for something that's new and available - yet similar to the old 8 bit era home computers/consoles which I was brought up on all those years ago :D

If you pardon the expression "You made an old man very happy" - lol

I do have have something in mind for my second project, but I'm open to suggestions/ideas if anyone has any - though must bear in mind my "Novice" status ;)

Cheers

Roukan / Jim
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Works great on real hardware Jim. From "hello world" to learning the caveats of finishing an uzebox game this quickly is impressive :)
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Great Job Jim. Kepp up the good work! I'm curious about your next Uzebox project :mrgreen:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I'd like to add that from start to finish the whole process has been very enjoyable and not in the least bit painful in any area, mainly attributed to all the great Tools / WIKI Info / Forum feedback and so on.

Might I also say a big thanks to your good self / and all others involved for bringing the Uzebox to life, I've been looking for something that's new and available - yet similar to the old 8 bit era home computers/consoles which I was brought up on all those years ago
You're more than welcome! :mrgreen: I and other often discuss how we could make things easier for newbies...so since you've just gone succesfully though the process, if you would have one recommendation to make what would it be?

As a next project, a bit more challenging I could see an Asteroid clone? I had put a lot of work on mode 6 a couple months ago and I know the line blitting engine is fast enough for that...anyway just an idea. There's just so much retro games left, you could even try an original title. 8-)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Got to play the game for a while but I guess I need more practice to recognize the poker hands! Been a while since I played, I I only played texas hold'em. Excellent work, controls are fluid, good rhythm in the game play and no bugs. For a first game I say kudos! :)
Roukan

Post by Roukan »

D3thAdd3r wrote:Works great on real hardware Jim. From "hello world" to learning the caveats of finishing an uzebox game this quickly is impressive :)
Harty123 wrote:Great Job Jim. Keep up the good work! I'm curious about your next Uzebox project :mrgreen:
uze6666 wrote:Got to play the game for a while but I guess I need more practice to recognize the poker hands! Been a while since I played, I I only played texas hold'em. Excellent work, controls are fluid, good rhythm in the game play and no bugs. For a first game I say kudos! :)
Thanks all for your kind words on this project much appreciate it :)

As for my next project, I'll hopefully have a new WIP topic open sometime this coming weekend ;)

uze6666 wrote:I and other often discuss how we could make things easier for newbies...so since you've just gone successfully though the process, if you would have one recommendation to make what would it be?
Hmm that's a tough one Uze as you've got it pretty much covered.

Though one thing I personally would like to see as it's my weakest area I reckon, a central database of sound FX (sticky post /WIKI) - where we can share our existing FX.

Maybe this could be one source file (updated on a regular basis) that can be downloaded and each entry has a comment describing the FX and the game/author it originally came from.

So a nice library gets built up over time and users can find one that suits (or a near match that just needs slight tweak), if not post a reply with details of what they need where the more adept users in this area could draft something up for them.

Cheers

Roukan / Jim
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

Roukan wrote: Though one thing I personally would like to see as it's my weakest area I reckon, a central database of sound FX (sticky post /WIKI) - where we can share our existing FX.
I agree.

Just something to add, the sound FX and music tutorials have spun me in circles numerous times and I have made very little progress with audio. I'd say that audio is the most challenging part of the Uzebox. Maybe the fact that I have absolutely no musical talent/knowledge whatsoever could be causing this issue :lol:
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Post your trouble spots in music/sfx thread and I'll fix or add for anything confusing