All Uzebox Games Online! (Cuzebox and Emscripten)

The Uzebox now have a fully functional emulator! Download and discuss it here.
Jubatian

Re: All Uzebox Games Online! (Cuzebox and Emscripten)

Post by Jubatian »

L4rry wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:39 pm 'pastel' is the palette I'm alluding to.
Are you sure about this? Even Tank Fu has black backround like many of the games. The bright surfaces around the game wouldn't be pleasant for the eyes. I thought the current theme was okay, the overall brightness not being intrusive, allowing you to focus on the game (I only wish Nicksen completed the definition of the associated CSS files so non-default browser settings wouldn't break it). I think it really shouldn't be any brighter.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Just a suggestion. I just feel that as soon as you load the page, the color scheme and layout is a bit distracting. Maybe it's the contrast between the orange and the blue, not so much the lightness or darkness. Something more blended. But I get this may be different from person to person. Maybe configurable themes?
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

L4rry wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:54 am Just a suggestion. I just feel that as soon as you load the page, the color scheme and layout is a bit distracting. But I get this may be different from person to person. Maybe configurable themes?
Toning down the contrast might indeed look less distracting, but it could end up making the whole thing washed out. You might also recall old arcades, they had elaborate colorful cabinets to raise attention (colorful! not bright). Bright colors, pastels of course wouldn't look bad alone, but they would be annoying in the whole context. You have a backlit monitor standing somewhere, its brightness normally stands out from the environment you put it in (usually it even has a black or dark frame to help orienting your view). Then you make it all glaring bright, and put your main content on which you should be focusing in the middle of a very bright frame. It may even force your eyes to adapt to that brightess, making you losing the darker details of the game. I think it is a good idea to stay in the background with the overall brightness (at least my eyes are quite sensitive to this).
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

I just checked it out. I like it without the weird silly graphical borders, and I don't really mind the colors. I do like that it defaults to displaying the debug info, because I think it's cool for people to see the inner workings of the game (and that's the part that has the author info on it), but it's easily toggled off with the buttons on the UI, and everything resizes.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Okay. Here are the most recent changes:
  • Dimmed down the colors.
  • Changed colors to be a little less obnoxious.
  • CUzeBox emulator controls are now underneath the game frame. Additionally, their display opacity is weak. If you hover your mouse cursor over them then they will be brighter.
  • Put the image of the gamepad controls on the left (where the CUzeBox emulator controls used to be.)
    ... In the future I will let the buttons be clickable and actually control the game.
    ... I have tested this (on screen controls) and it works but not on phones. (It is slow on phones anyway.)
  • Set a font-family and color for the body. It displays as black with Times New Roman.
What do you think?
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Jubatian wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:27 am(I only wish Nicksen completed the definition of the associated CSS files so non-default browser settings wouldn't break it). I think it really shouldn't be any brighter.
Have I fixed this? What remains?
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

I think the changes are effective :) I definitely appreciate the softer contrast and control display.
nicksen782 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:03 pm
  • Put the image of the gamepad controls on the left (where the CUzeBox emulator controls used to be.)
I noticed the gamepad controls don't show up in Firefox. It works fine in Chrome. See screenshot below.
Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 6.45.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 6.45.40 PM.png (46.04 KiB) Viewed 6991 times
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Opps! I didn't set width or height. Firefox requires this and Chrome just defaulted to 100% instead of 0. Cool. A mistake that I likely won't be making again.

Code: Select all

<image xlink:href="img/CUzeBox_controls.png" x="0" y="0" width="100%" height="100%"></image>
Thanks!
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

It seems functional for me with proper text color at last. I however took the controls image to give it a proper alpha channel (to remove the jaggies on its edge):
Controls image without jaggies
Controls image without jaggies
CUzeBox_controls.png (5.1 KiB) Viewed 6979 times
Should work for everyone having anything newer than Internet Explorer 6 :P (I think that was the last browser not supporting proper PNG alpha).
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

The new changes look good.

I was lamenting the loss of the buttons to toggle emulator modes, when I realized they were there, just very dark underneath the game window. Would it be possible to brighten those up, and to get the Controller to show the changed button labels when you put it into UZEM keymappings?